You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid

Post by Floki »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark that’s quite a tale! Did anybody say anything to you guys about using a firearm against prowlers/burglars? I realize that was a different time back then, but I am curious as to anything on that side.

Clint, that’s the Beretta 92 in a nutshell, it may not be the best pistol out there, but it is very reliable, accurate, and does the job. I don’t get drawn in to the 9mm vs .45 ACP debate myself. I figure that if 9mm is good enough for the SAS, it’s good enough for me, and they have put more bad guys into the ground than easily counted. It’s shot placement first and foremost that stops any gunfight.
The way I see it is it doesn't matter if it's .22lr or a .50AE it's going to ruin someone's day if they decide to break in
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I'm not a firearm enthusiast, most of my experience with them is on Army firing ranges, I did eventually qualify as sharpshooter but the range guys in Basic were glad to see my backside, as I theirs!

I had a great uncle who had a cattle range in the hills east of Fresno who had a large collection of guns. Several with octagon shaped barrels, and even a bent up 50 cal from a fighter that crashed in the area. I of course have no idea what the guns were.

Another of my uncles tried to teach me to shoot a 12 gauge when I was 10 or so. We had farm ground that was good for pheasant hunting. He had me try to shoot a rabbit about 50 feet away. I fired, and the gun went right over my shoulder. I perforated the rabbit's ears and still remember him looking at me and saying with his look why did you have to do that, before he ran off. I wasn't that interested in the hunting as I spent enough time out in the dirt with tractors.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos, they didn't say anything about it to us, we found out later when they told us the guys were arrested. Apparently back then, the Fort Snelling organization had an arrangement with the St. Paul PD. As I recall in the past, having security guards during orientation was problematic. when they were removed, attempted break-ins increased and became more successful until the museum leadership was able to convince St. Paul PD to allow for loaded muskets to deter thieves. Like you said, different times back then.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Going back to some "old timey" firearms I mentioned earlier....

Hanging on a moose rack (taken by an Uncle on my moms side)...
"Pennsylvania long rifle"

Family history dates this one back to the 1st generation on the property.
Just a little research dates it to the 1830's...being caplock rather than flintlock...which "checks out" with family history.

There's nothing "fancy" on it, and she's in rough shape. Steel has light rust, ramrod is missing, wood "finish" is okay at best, but there is wood missing and splits here and there...rough! I certainly wouldn't call it a "shooter"...but with the family history, it's a nice "wall hanger".

The other "old timer"...double barrel, double trigger, muzzle loader shotgun...

This was supposedly (according to family history) my great fathers. Just a quick search says it could be as old as the 1830's....so...????
The stock is split (wrapped in tape), ramrod gone, right cap nipple is also gone, and like the other, just a "wall hanger".

I couldn't find anything on value (didn't search very hard either), but given their condition, I'd guess there's far more sentimental value than there is monetary value.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great looking moose rack. The family history of them is valuable enough.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Floki wrote:Great looking moose rack. The family history of them is valuable enough.
:P1:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Stuart, if you ever make it out here to Arizona, I have both a Webley Revolver and a No.4 Enfield, and you’re welcome to have a try with both. Although I must admit that I need to take the Webley to a gunsmith for thorough exam, as it is quite worn and I’ve never fired it. Don’t have any ammo for it, nor the half moon clips for those rounds either. But the Enfield, oh that’s a nice shooting rifle. Kicks like a mule and I’ve put a few hundred rounds through it over the years.
I'll keep you to that Carlos!

As an aside, a friend of mine used to shoot pistols before they were banned, so he now keeps his in a indoor range in Belgium - apparently the last time he was there, there was a guy with an blasting targets with an M60!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

WHAT??? GUN TALK?????

Ok cool! I have a shotgun and rifle that were handed down to me from my dad. I'm clueless about firearms so I really have no idea what they are. I don't know if they're in working order or not. I'll take pics and maybe you guys can tell me what they are.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, gun talk is allowed here. And hissy fits about the subject will not get a thread banished to the cyber phantom zone.

So yes, post your family heirlooms and see if anybody here recognizes their type. Since you have no idea if they’re in working order or not, I’d suggest that you take them to a gunsmith for that sort of evaluation if you’re planning on trying to shoot them.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Went to the range this morning and exercised a couple of 9 mm and a .380....went to shoot the M&P 15 and it would not fire. Uh oh......
I was the last guyvthat had it apart.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”