Steve Luckinbill’s 1/350 IJN Akagi. December 7, 1941.

A reference source for our builds without "commercial interruption" as it were. Commentary and pictures. All members can post a build log.
speedgraflex

Steve Luckinbill’s 1/350 IJN Akagi. December 7, 1941.

Post by speedgraflex »

Dear SPAM,

I am adding a preview of several page layouts from our Facebook Feature (photography and text by Steve Luckinbill) of his epic build of the Akagi here. The full piece will appear on our Facebook page Friday morning.

The ship was painted using Lifelike and Vallejo paints. The Hasegawa PE sets "A", "B", "C", Super Detail Set and the General Jack Stay set were used along with several general PE sets including Infini's IJN Type 96 25mm twin AA guns, Flyhawk. Alliance Modelworks, Fivestar, Shipyardworks, and others. The additional aircraft are the Hasegawa Carrier Based aircraft sets and Infini IJN Carrier Aircraft Detail set "A" was used to install the aircraft interiors props and detailing. Additional prop spin was created by using the Alliance Modelworks IJN Carried Prop Spin PE set. Some of the stanctions within the area behind the 12.7mm AA guns were scratch built. All of the portholes were replaced with PE eyebrows and hatches. The hull ladder rungs were replaced using Shipwardworks Separate Ladder T35013. I also used the Laser Cut Paper set produced and sold by a modeler in South Korea named Harry. The crew were from Northstar and Tori Factory. The project took over 1100 hours and 13 months to complete.

Cheers,

Your Friendly Forum Moderator
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Steve Luckinbill’s 1/350 IJN Akagi. December 7, 1941.

Post by keavdog »

Followed this build from day 1. It's a truly amazingly detailed build, right down to the PE aircraft interiors :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Steve is a genius. Also the dedication to the subject—throwing everything possible at the project to detail beyond details—is relatable and admirable.

Also, shout out to everyone; if you want a feature on Facebook send me a PM. I would like to do this starting in July at least once a month. All I ask is the photos be good. As I am sure all would agree we are judged by professionalism for better or worse. Don’t let that stop you. Just be aware I am a stickler for photos. Focus, good colors, a neutral background are the benchmarks. How you get there is up to you.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks great Bruce. If I can suggest an edit correction for the caption before putting this on Facebook on Friday, 150mm is just under 6 inches, not 10 inches. 152.4mm translates to six inches.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Looks great Bruce. If I can suggest an edit correction for the caption before putting this on Facebook on Friday, 150mm is just under 6 inches, not 10 inches. 152.4mm translates to six inches.
Thanks, Carlos! I sincerely appreciate your catch!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

This shows how much our community has to offer. Great craftsmanship and artistic skills. Both is shown in these pictures. Thank you so much, Steve and Bruce!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I simply do NOT have enough or the right kind of words to describe what I'm seeing in this build Steve. Your workmanship on this is among the best I've seen in the modeling community. Just outstanding work brother. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Superb work and excellent presentation!

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

:bow: :bow: :bow:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Top notch. Excellent. OMG. This thing is amazing.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Simply awesome build that!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Build Logs Of Finished Work”