Kari's bench 2021 -->

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Kari's bench 2021 -->

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stuart wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:35 am :hmm: Arma kits... Very much a case of the 'Emperors New Trousers' I think. I did want to get their P-39 but I've been a bit put off by the Hurricane. I suspect I will get one, I'll just have lower expectations.

I think that's half the problem though isn't it. It's not that any of these kits are bad or unbuildable (as you're proving with this Hurricane), its just that there is sooooooo much hype and build up around their release, that when you get one and find that it's not the 'wonder-kit' you were expecting, that it kills all the enjoyment. That's exactly what happened to me with that 1/48 Airfix P-51 I built. It's partly why I've stopped reading reviews.
I agree. Arma has a habit of hyping up their kits, even new releases. Most of his kits are 1/72 scale, not so much for 1/48 scale. I had thought of getting one of their kits even though I'm hearing some of their quirks. Someday, I'll bite and get one for the sake of the challenge in building an Arma kit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Stuart wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:35 am :hmm: Arma kits... Very much a case of the 'Emperors New Trousers' I think. I did want to get their P-39 but I've been a bit put off by the Hurricane. I suspect I will get one, I'll just have lower expectations.

I think that's half the problem though isn't it. It's not that any of these kits are bad or unbuildable (as you're proving with this Hurricane), its just that there is sooooooo much hype and build up around their release, that when you get one and find that it's not the 'wonder-kit' you were expecting, that it kills all the enjoyment. That's exactly what happened to me with that 1/48 Airfix P-51 I built. It's partly why I've stopped reading reviews.
I have the F-6C Mustang kit. I haven't inspected closely but I've heard its fantastic
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

While the Arma Hurricane is waiting for more paintwork

I decided, just for fun, to do a quick shadow build of Airfix Hurricane Mk I, tooling anno 1978 in other words 45 years older then the Arma.
Just to see how the end result visually will be between these two Hurries

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is a cracking little kit - one of my favourites although I've not built one for a few years. It's actually on my to-buy list this year as I want to build another SAAF North African Hurricane and I have a spare Vokes filter collecting dust ready for it.

Yes the cockpit is simple, but you can't see it through the canopy anyway, especially if you add the pilot, and yes there is no U/C bay detail - but who looks under a model on the shelf anyway!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Stuart, yes it is a cracking little kit!

And it has that old classic Airfix, brittle but so sharp grey plastic!
Brings almost back some childhood memories!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Busy man! Great looking work, too.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Member's Gallery”