Kari's bench 2021 -->

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
LyleW
Admin

Re: Kari's bench 2021 -->

Post by LyleW »

Wowser...a little Solvaset should fix that.

Disappointing, to say the least.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What’s their reasoning for such new types of decals? They look to be quite the headache… :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That does indeed look rather scary!

I've heard rather a lot of negative comments about their decals, it's enough to put you off their kits tbh.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yup. I, too, had heard some negative things on Eduard’s new decals. I do believe someone here did post a thread on Eduard’s new decals and the process of doing them. It’s something about the carrier film on them.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

LyleW wrote:Wowser...a little Solvaset should fix that.
Disappointing, to say the least.
Yup! And I even used Tamiyas Mark Fit decal solution, but the result is ...

Stikpusher wrote:What’s their reasoning for such new types of decals? They look to be quite the headache… :hmm:
I agree, these kind of decals should be like AM stuff, for those who want to use them. I'm not one of them

Stuart wrote:That does indeed look rather scary!

I've heard rather a lot of negative comments about their decals, it's enough to put you off their kits tbh.
Almost!

BlackSheep214 wrote:Yup. I, too, had heard some negative things on Eduard’s new decals. I do believe someone here did post a thread on Eduard’s new decals and the process of doing them. It’s something about the carrier film on them.
You're right, it was me testing with Eduards new decals while building the new Zero, earlier this year. Was struggling all the way, but they look really really nice when the carrier film is removed. But is it worth the stress, the risks etc? Not really, at least for me.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah no! I'm not playing with their new decals. I'd rather get aftermarket ones.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'm willing to tackle them if they have multiple versions and only use decals I'm not going to use on a test mule kit. You don't know until you try it yourself. I love a challenge and am not afraid to try.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I saw on another Forum that you don't need to remove the backing after applying the decals. In fact, the person said Eduard discourages it. He applied his over a bare metal finish on his aircraft and you cannot tell there is any backing film at all. It seems all this issue was for nothing.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

You are absolutely right, especially if the decal is put on a smooth surface, then it should work.
But with my particular build, the carrierfilm makes sort of an annoying "soft" layer on the decal, which again does not conform nicely on the rivets. Not sure if it's that visible in my picture, but there you can see the extra carrier film does not go in between the rivets.. :hmm:

I used decal setting solution both under the decal and on top of it.

I have not decided yet what to do. Might be I will try to remove the carrier film and if that fails, Plan B kicks in, which is to order a AM decal set instead. Might even be I have somewhere in my decal-stash enough with suitable roundels to replace the current ones.

Let's see!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That sucks Kari, Personally I'd go the AM route!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Member's Gallery”