Aurora 1/25 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Aurora 1/30 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow... what an improvement. Are those the glow in the dark feet from the kit?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Re: Aurora 1/30 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes, good catch Tom. The 2020 Atlantis reissue is the Glow-in-the-Dark square box version. I plan to opaque the effect with primer and proceed normally. Non glow options are not provided on the parts trees. I am actually not a fan of the box art for this version, so I did not take any pictures.

It’s essentially updated from the original Aurora box art.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Aurora 1/25 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LOL! Yeah, I remember the old box covers of King king and other monsters kits. Fun times then.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking damn good Bruce! :hmm: The seam for the head to body is completely invisible! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you kindly, Carlos! I have work to do on that arm, but carving seems to be the answer.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Well that'll teach me to look in the figures section more often... :bag:

Just found this thread Bruce - bloody hell that's good work, your seam work and the blending in of the filler is top notch!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Wowee! What tool do you use to scribe the fur back into the putty/filler?
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart wrote:Well that'll teach me to look in the figures section more often... :bag:

Just found this thread Bruce - bloody hell that's good work, your seam work and the blending in of the filler is top notch!
Stuart,

No worries, mate and thank you for finding the thread as well as commenting. I started and stopped a few models over the past few months, but this one has some real fire to it. I expect to have Kong and “Ann Darrow” (Fay Wray) finished by the end of the month.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:Wowee! What tool do you use to scribe the fur back into the putty/filler?
Do you prefer Ceaser or Declan? Thank you for following and commenting. Welcome to the forum. I read your introduction as well as “Why do you build models?” threads and sincerely appreciate your way of viewing the multiverse. I also think it’s darn important (Lyle runs a G-rated ship) to support anyone who builds imaginative science fiction models. I think you are going to really like a project Marius is designing off the books which will feature highly detailed and quite accurate kit versions of famous UFO sightings and What If? Test subjects. I think so. Regardless, I do want to try out your suggestion to build the 1/1000 TOS E and I am looking for a lighting kit. I’ll need your help building this; and I was thinking we could group build Star Trek kits. I was thinking if I could buy a few of these 1/1000 kits I could send them to folks here who are interested, to maybe get a building group together.

To answer your question, I found good old fashioned round toothpicks most closely approximated the original tooling. Sometimes simpler is better. By dragging the toothpick through a slightly top wetted Milliput bead I was able to recreate a pretty close version.

I have some thoughts on easy peasy seam building I would love to share. Let me know if that is of interest.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”