BlackSheep's choice...

Nightfighters, Eyes in the Skies and Spooks Group Build
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: BlackSheep's choice...

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thanks guys. Ordered new National Insignia decals from my favorite eBay seller, rebelalpha. Good price too. Once they arrive at my mailbox, I will resume this girl before the year is out. I might have her finished by Christmas. :lashed:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Now that my National Insignias decal set has arrived, I will be resuming this very soon.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Decal session had commenced.... but not without some of the stencils literally disintegrated on me as soon as I tried to slide them off to the kit. I was wondering if they were going to tear and break apart on me since this kit was dated 1976, The following decals is what toes apart on me....

Decals #4 and #5

Decals #6 - all four of them!! :bored:

Surprisingly, none tore up on me for the propellers!

The red stencils for the tail and nose managed to go on almost with zero issues. The stars & bars went on beautifully. Had a bit of a struggle trying to lay them down on the fuselage. Seem a tiny bit too large but those were the correct ones according to the decal instruction guide.

Stars and bars on the wings!!

Gonna let them dry out before I shoot a coat of flat clear to seal it in.

If anyone has any spare #6 decals as shown in the instruction guide, send them my way. The #5 ones, I probably could salvage them by using the red bars from the national insignia set. The #4 decal... I may skip it since they go on the gear door.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Those Lightnings sure do look good in black. Great progress and glad to see that the decals are cooperating. :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks good now Tom! :shoutout: It’s amazing how something as simple as national insignia markings and serial numbers add to a build.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thanks Joe and Carlos. I’ve heard stories of decals simply break apart - especially old ones when trying to slide them off the backing or even worse, in water. I’ve never had that happen before until last night. Oh well...

I feel like it’s not complete without those stencils but am disappointed. For now my plan is shoot a coat of clear flat, a bit of weathering and call it finished until I find extra stencils I lost. She looks almost naked without the proper stencils I need. It does bother me somewhat but I’ll deal with it later. :Bur2: :happens:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice. I saw black, twin engine, twin boom... oh a P-61....duh.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'm calling this one done! An enjoyable build considering its age - the smaller decals, not so much. I'll hold off with hopes of finding spares and apply them later. I used Tamiya weathering set just around the superchargers for subtle effects. It was my first time using it and love it. I also made a simple stand for this tail sitter (which I knew it was). Instruction guide made no mention to add weights anywhere. :bored: So here she is in her glory...

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks real good Tom! Very nicely done! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great job on this old kit!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall