Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-Boat

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-Boat

Post by Scruffy »

This is this months model. Because of the way life is right now I have decided to pick a model at the beginning of each month that is at the point where I feel I can finish it in that month. This should help me focus my modeling time on finishing something. Roughly half of my home time is split between our house and my mothers so I will grab a kit when I go over there and just cut and stick parts together until I get to a point where I have to fill, sand, paint, detail etc. and then that kit stays at home where my work area is and I grab another kit and do the same thing. So anyway, this is the victim of the month; this poor little guy has been sitting around for quite a while being built, waiting for paint, after being painted, until I just need to get this off my bench before I break too much more stuff off of him! :headslap:

With some paint on!

The painted and weathered insert for the sail interior. I painted and weathered the insert then pushed it into the sail and glued it before adding the sail to the hull. This way I could easily get to all the details to paint them, the interior of the sail also has wood panel decals added that will probably never be seen (wood panels were fastened to the interior walls to prevent the sailors clothes from freezing to the bare steel walls in frigid weather).

Weathering has now started, I am using this model to play around with using oil paints extensively.
mostrich
Admin

Re: Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-Boat

Post by mostrich »

Off to a great start! Love me some subs. I think 1/144 is a good scale for boats of that area.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

That's a relly nice subject! And indeed, as Torben also writes, the scale is good for such !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good, Scruffy! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nic.e!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

That is a very ideal looking sub to me! Coming along very nicely
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

KSaarni wrote:That's a relly nice subject! And indeed, as Torben also writes, the scale is good for such !

- Kari
I agree with you guys, 1/144 is a very good scale for these kits, not too large, but large enough to have nice detail and a decent "presence" on the display shelf. I have one or two others, Mikro Mir's Walters Boat, and this recent release

I also got the Micro Design or Metallic Details (one of them, makes it :hmm: ) photo etch detail; set as well.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh very nice! A Soviet WWII sub! The kits you mostly see are German (of course), Japanese, and US. I can’t recall ever seeing an injection molded Italian or Royal Navy WWII sub kit.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Quite true, though Mikro Mir have released a couple RN Subs in 1/350 scale I think. Beyond that it is a smattering of resin kits.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”