Ceaser's Movies Talk

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Ceaser's Movies Talk

Post by LyleW »

I still see it on the electric telebizshun from time to time. I read that the opening sequence was one of the most realistic ever produced and caused issues for more than a few vets. My dad was a tank driver/ mech in North Africa and asked to be taken off the line. I can’t imagine what these guys did.

Next watch Fury.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Oh jeez... yeah I heard that in the first viewing at the movie theatre, some vets had to leave because of how realistic it was. I really do not blame them.
I have seen Fury. I loved it! Too bad I watched it at about 2 in the morning, because I can only remember half of it. I will have to give it another go.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I haven't seen that first movie but I'll definitely have to find it. Saving Private Ryan was incredible. I have that (and a lot of other military movies) on DVD.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I went to see "Ryan" with three other adult men the day it opened. Three full grown adult men. Biker types with beards and everything.

Listening to the sniveling after the first 15 minutes was enough for anyone. There is an absolutely adorable little Russian gal on Youtube who reacts to "Ryan". She blubbers her way through almost the entire film. It's fun to see.

A more realistic and truly heartfelt tribute to WWII has yet to be made IMHO.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Saving Private Ryan is a damn good film. Yes the Omaha Beach sequence is quite intense, as are all of the battle sequences. But it does have its Hollywood aspects too- you don’t BS talk on patrol like they do, especially when infiltrating thru no mans land or enemy territory as they constantly do. I was good with it until the very end when he is at Miller’s grave.

Check out A Bridge Too Far sometime for a movie with a similar effect upon the viewer.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wait... you never saw Saving Private Ryan?!?! :giggles:
Now go watch Band of Brothers. I also have Pacific too. Couldn’t bond with the characters in that series compared to Band of Brothers.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yep, the Pacific one just wasn’t as compelling.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

My son Carson was still living at home when Band of Brothers first aired on HBO. He and I watched every episode together. He seemed very intent on it and after a couple episodes, I began to realize that my son, at that moment, was the exact same age my Dad had been when he went to Europe in 1944 as part of the 87th Infantry. Carson never got to meet his paternal grandfather but I know he was thinking about how much different his life was at his age than his grandfather's had been. He was safe at home, while Johnny Brantley had fought the Nazis in a foreign land. And, then came home to start a life and family that eventually led to him. I know it made a huge impact on him. Good movie making can do that.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

The Pacific was a great series. There's no glamour in the Pacific theater. Terrible conditions and an enemy that would not surrender - brutal life for the Marines and Army. That's why there aren't that many films about the Pacific - it's hard to watch.
Another GREAT HBO series and book is Generation Kill - set in the Iraq war.
Also recommend 303 Squadron and Mission of Honor/Hurricane - both movies about the Polish RAF 303 squadron. I thought the latter was better.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I distinctly remember watching the Band of Brothers premier episodes on HBO on the evening of September 9, 2001. My Guard LRS unit had just returned from annual training and all of my gear was next to the front door after two weeks in the field. The opening interviews with the surviving members of Easy Company, now old men, struck me. Particularly the part about volunteering for the Army and Airborne after the Pearl Harbor attack, in comparison to all the US’ wars between WWII and that date. Less than 36 hours later, on the morning of 9/11, I knew exactly how they felt.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”