Blowing off the dust

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Blowing of the dust

Post by Gary Brantley »

My first scale model after returning to the hobby in the late 1980s, it's the 1/48 Monogram A-10:

And yes, it's still hanging around the display cabinet after all these years. A true survivor! :lol:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: And photographed on an airfield! I love it!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My first “grown up” build, from 1984 when I was a new young Private freshly arrived at Ft Polk. It’s been damaged, repaired, and rebuilt since then. The internal stowage, antenna & tie down, and trailer are a later addition. Figure and basic jeep are original.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote::shoutout: And photographed on an airfield! I love it!
:lol: But, of course! :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The are my two oldest surviving builds, both armor, and built around 1973 or so. Monogram 1/32 StuG.IV and Tamiya 1/35 StuH.42. I’m not sure which is older. Both were rebuilt & repainted around 1988 & 1989 respectively. The Monogram figures are as I painted them as a kid. The Tamiya figures are from the rebuild and an early attempt at surgery repositions & parts swapping, a la Shepard Paine. This was years before gloss base coats & flat top coats, so the decals have long since dried off and flaked away.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Lyle... Thomas... somebody.... we should "sticky" this!

Declan, that is one amazing USS Enterprise! Wow, I really love the way you made this look!

As for our oldest models, how far back do you want us to go? :hmm:

I never really took a break from model building. I did it all through my high school and college years. I did stop for a bit when I moved out, but resumed as soon as I found a local hobby shop about 16 months later.

So, if you want to see my Absolute earliest model, brace yourself. This was built when I was seven years old... :bag:

That is my 1/72 scale MPC Profile Series Focke Wulf. And yes, I still have it, along with my first ship (1/600 scale USS Forrestal) and my first 1/72 scale armor model (Panzerjager PzI); my first jet (1/721 scale Airfix MiG 15). I think in the 51 years I've been building; I've lost 16 to breakage over the years and moves, 11 of them have been replaced. Other than those five unreplaced, I still have all the models I've ever built (except some commissions)
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Lyle... Thomas... somebody.... we should "sticky" this!
“Sticky” has been done :wink:
Duke Maddog wrote:So, if you want to see my Absolute earliest model, brace yourself. This was built when I was seven years old...
Mark, you have my age beat by about a year or so on your oldest survivor. I was about eight or so when I first built the last two.

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I am amazed at the life spans some of these models have!
All of you have some pretty cool old kits to show. Thanks for sharing
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Carlos! I'd say that a year certainly made a difference between us. LOL! :giggles: Yours at eight look far better than mine at seven! :bag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Not really. Those have been repaired and rebuilt…. They look better now because of that…

FLSM

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”