Blowing off the dust

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Re: Blowing off the dust

Post by Scruffy »

This one is, if not the oldest kit in my stash, very close to it, there might be a couple older, This kit dated from 1959, and as far as I can tell only had one release ever so pretty cool!

This one is from 1965 (the year before I was born :grin: ) and probably has the most evocative box are of any issue of this kit. Mohawk was a regional carrier in the Northeast back in the day, and their delivery colors on the BAC 111 and Convair 540's were just stunning with the black and gold colors and large medallion on the tail. Unsurprisingly, the kit decals looked in pretty bad shape. However, Eastern Express just release a new kit of the -111 and Vintage Flyer Decals released several decal sheets including this livery also tailored to fit the old Airfix kit. I dug the kit out before work yesterday, and made sure all the pieces were there, and then while at work ordered the new decals for it (and cuz I was already ordering threw in a set of 1/72 decals for a Northeast Airlines "yellow Bird" DC-9).

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That grasshopper kit is too cool! You could do a giant radioactive locust diorama with it and some 1/72 stuff… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well now... looks like I've got you all beat of having the oldest kit in my stash.

This is a 1956 Revell kit I bought at the annual Madison Bouckville Antique Show about 15 years ago. The kit was complete and all parts accounted for. Decal sheet is aged but one decal was already placed on the clear dome stand when i bought it. I stopped after gluing the top and bottom wing parts (center of photo) because I didn't want to go further due to its primitive fit for folding wings. Nope. Not gonna mess this one up.

Instruction guide. All 4 steps!!! :giggles:

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Here is a major blowing off of the dust. I cleaned up the room I use as a library/workroom/model storage. It hasn't been this neat in years, it's one of those places where you put things until you put them away properly, and also one of my grandsons used it as a study room while he was living with me and going to UC Davis, where he is now a senior. I even vacuumed the floor. My wife is in a state of shock. The pictures have been stuck here and there out of sight, and it's nice to have them back on the wall, they are all old friends.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Tom, here are two from my stash that may be older. These two kits date back to 1952 according to Old Model Kits, but there is no date information in the kit itself. Though the box says Hillcrest, the actual name of the company was Model Plastic Products, 1695 Cordova Avenue, Los Angeles 7, California. I've not found anything on the net about that company.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

John, that room looks fantastic! I'm currently trying to do the same thing with my hobby room now!

Nice old kits too!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

John - nice stash, or part of it. I'll take the P-38, F-117 and the C2 please :giggles:
Thanks,
John
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Which one? :headslap:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very nice looking Stash (and room) John - some very interesting types to build there.

I like your books, I've been building up a collection of older aeronautical engineering books, recently picked a 1940's engine book and Neville Duke's 'The sound Barrier'. It's interesting reading.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Very interesting room John. Just think every time you go in and clean you probably find something you forgot about

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”