Hobbycraft F8F VNAF

Something you have never built.
Stikpusher

Hobbycraft F8F VNAF

Post by Stikpusher »

So I’m kicking off my build today, using this Hobbycraft kit.

It’s one of their later moldings and is pretty nicely detailed, inside and out. Here is a photo of the real aircraft in the early 60’s

and the kit sprues… not too high of a parts count, so this might be a fairly rapid build

And of course, assembly starts out in the cockpit

I’ll get some paint on there in the next few days…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Hobbycraft F8F VNAF

Post by Stuart »

Bearcat - nice choice Carlos, it's a great looking aircraft and that's not a bad looking kit.

So you're building a Vietnamese airforce bird?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I’m building a RVN aircraft, I have never built any aircraft in those markings before. This is my first. But I do have quite a 1/48 line up in my stash of many of the types used by the VNAF.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Excellent choice Carlos! This will be fun to follow.

So, are we all showing the sprues first before we start? I'll try to remember that when I get mine going.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mark. I normally don’t show the sprues, but since everybody else was… show me yours and I’ll show you mine… :giggles:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Thanks Stuart. Yes, I’m building a RVN aircraft, I have never built any aircraft in those markings before. This is my first. But I do have quite a 1/48 line up in my stash of many of the types used by the VNAF.
That's a cool choice Stik, I assume they didn't steal the leftover Bearcats from the French?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My understanding is that they were either directly handed over by the French to the Viets after the French withdrawal, or they were “returned”to US ownership, then handed over to the Viets under the Military Assistance Program.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen a Bearcat in that theater. How long did they last?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The French had them there for most of their war. Or at least the second half. The Viets had them from the French withdrawal until 1961 or so.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Started slinging paint on the Bearcat today. First up I used Tamiya Rubber Black in the cockpit and wheel wells. It works for a good faded black.

since USN cockpits in the post war era were painted in flat black from the level above the side consoles and IP, and Interior Green below that, I’m just gonna mask off the black areas tomorrow, then paint the green after giving the paint overnight to dry and cure before masking.

In the wheel well areas, I used Tamiya Yellow Green as Zinc Chromate Yellow over the Rubber Black

more to come tomorrow…

FLSM

Return to “Cherry Popper Group Build”