English Electric Lightning - Matchbox - 1:72

Something you have never built.
Bolleken
Master Member

English Electric Lightning - Matchbox - 1:72

Post by Bolleken »

Hi guys, I am participating with a English Electric Lightning by Matchbox in 1/72 scale as I haven't done a Lightning ever before.
The ki itself has raised panels, which isn't a big issue as it was a common practice for kits of that time. And hey, it is Matchbox, my favorite brand.

IMO the major issue with this kit is the entire intake section with a ridicoulus nose cone. Unfortunately the cone part is missing in my kit but I own the double seater version by Matchbox aswell. So I am thinking to take the cone from that one as dimension-guide to design a new intake and cone as 3D-model and print it as replacement. So I will probably build the double-seater at the same time.

Last edited by Bolleken on Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolleken
Master Member

Re: English Electric Lightning - Matchbox - 1:72

Post by Bolleken »

Well, the nose cone and intake: Picture it on your own when you compare the kit-solution to the original design (took the photos at Shannon Aviation Museum, Ireland):

pictures to follow...

Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

Nevertheless I started to assemble the first pieces like the wings.
When I look back and remember the prices for Matchbox kits back in 1981 or 82 when I have started with model kits it seems to be unreal. 5.95 DM for a kit of the orange line. That's 3 Dollars today or 3 Euros. For such a large model.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool looking airplane - I think I built one when I was a kid. Always thought the tanks on top of the wing made it unique. Those are some bright yellow wings :wow:
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bible! This is such a beast of an airplane. Fast and powerful!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Marius, your 3-D printing is an excellent solution to the problem of missing or poorly made kit parts. Very nice work on the intake shock cone replacement part! :shoutout: I’m looking forward to what you do with this one!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Marius!

What a wonderful project! Thank you for taking the time to show the box art and sprues as well. It’s really important especially here to see the original designs and what leads to your changes in terms of overall accuracy.

1. Good call on redoing the nose completely. There’s an interior brace as well. Will that be modeled or is this a scratchbuilt form?

2. I could not afford Matchbox kits in the US. I loved going to the hobby store in Murrysville to look at the boxes. Imagine: all the boxes were inside a locked case with glass shelving and fronts the way finished models are displayed. I still remember the feeling of seeing so much coordinated plastic kit goodness all in one place! What a rush!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Torben, I would be willing to pay for the file to print a nose cone, I have a Matchbox T.55 to build one day.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice work on the nose cone!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

keavdog wrote:Cool looking airplane - I think I built one when I was a kid. Always thought the tanks on top of the wing made it unique. Those are some bright yellow wings :wow:
Actually I don't see a reason to inject the wings in yellow plastic, why didn't they use green, then it would have supported the camouflaged version in the kit...

LyleW wrote:Bible! This is such a beast of an airplane. Fast and powerful!
Absolutely, ugly in a way only Russian manufactures were able to (joking mode :giggles: ) but fully copying your post. Fast and furios!

Stikpusher wrote:Marius, your 3-D printing is an excellent solution to the problem of missing or poorly made kit parts. Very nice work on the intake shock cone replacement part! :shoutout: I’m looking forward to what you do with this one!
jeaton01 wrote:Torben, I would be willing to pay for the file to print a nose cone, I have a Matchbox T.55 to build one day.
Probably there is a misunderstanding. I have just shown the kit parts. 3d-rebuilding will be helpful to cover the correct design of cone and intake (like Airfix molded with there new releases of the Lightning) as it is also shown on the museum photos. The lower strut contains also the front-landing-gear-housing. Once I will have designed the new section as 3d model, I would be glad to print one or two for, jeaton01!
speedgraflex wrote:Marius!

What a wonderful project! Thank you for taking the time to show the box art and sprues as well. It’s really important especially here to see the original designs and what leads to your changes in terms of overall accuracy.

1. Good call on redoing the nose completely. There’s an interior brace as well. Will that be modeled or is this a scratchbuilt form?

2. I could not afford Matchbox kits in the US. I loved going to the hobby store in Murrysville to look at the boxes. Imagine: all the boxes were inside a locked case with glass shelving and fronts the way finished models are displayed. I still remember the feeling of seeing so much coordinated plastic kit goodness all in one place! What a rush!
Bruce, yes the interior brace will be part of the 3d-model too. I am planing to do a front section with cone, struts, ect. And a rear section with with the lower jet-engine fan visible but also the upper ramp for the second engine. Very similar to Airfix.Goal is an intake-module fitting to both Matchbox-kits, one and two-seater.
Regarding your memories, I was and still am a boxart-buyer, so I can imagine your feelings as a kit in the shop.

Return to “Cherry Popper Group Build”