Fw 190 A-8 “Brown” 6, WNr.175140, 7. or 8./II./JG 26

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Fw 190 A-8 “Brown” 6, WNr.175140, 7. or 8./II./JG 26

Post by speedgraflex »

Fw 190 A-8
“Brown” 6
WNr.175140
7. or 8./II./JG 26

Melsbroek, Belgium, 1944

Los Angeles, California, 2021

Airfix Starter Set
Piece count: 53
Decals: Cartograf
Scale: 1/72

Set includes Humbrol Poly Cement, Paint Brush, 4 Acrylic Paints

The box top artist did a beautiful job rendering the aircraft!

I’m going to build this out of the box, using the materials provided. I will use Tamiya tape both for the seatbelts as well as to hold the project together and to mask the cockpit glass.

So this means there is a tube of glue (I’m going to use toothpicks as a delivery system), one #2 brush and four pots of paint. I’m not even sure if the paints are quite right or even close enough to pass for the late war camouflage - I believe it was David E. Brown who wrote an essay on this aircraft and said there were four colors to the exterior camo. I’ll find his essay and link it here for those who may be curious.

https://halifaxmilitarymodelersgroup.wo ... mentary-1/

I’m going to try to get this all dialed in and done before the 14th which means I’ll be using the kit decals (I have some ideas about cleaning them up a bit) and basically keeping this very simple. This process will help me with the Airacobra.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Fw 190 A-8 “Brown” 6, WNr.175140, 7. or 8./II./JG

Post by keavdog »

Looking forward to this! I was thinking of a group build along these lines. You can only use the paints/glues/brushes provided.
Thanks,
John
speedgraflex

Re: Fw 190 A-8 “Brown” 6, WNr.175140, 7. or 8./II./JG

Post by speedgraflex »

I would still very much want to participate down the line on your group build! I feel this minimal approach is also a way to reduce stress and keep things closer to a pure build; straight up and without any additions.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Fw 190 A-8 “Brown” 6, WNr.175140, 7. or 8./II./JG 26

Post by Stikpusher »

This will be a nifty little project. If the pots of paint are RLM 74, 75, & 76, or something close enough, you’ll be in great shape for the external colors.
Our AMPS guys went to Europe a couple of summers ago and did a similar project, using those Airfix starter pack kits. They built them on the bus between stops and at night in their hotel rooms. I’m sure that you’ll have fun.
And there is something g to be said for quick simple builds, using pretty much just what comes in the box.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:This will be a nifty little project. If the pots of paint are RLM 74, 75, & 76, or something close enough, you’ll be in great shape for the external colors.
According to the Airfix/Humbrol paint numbering decoder, the colors are:

#27 - Sea Gray
#33 - Matt Black
#64 - Light Gray
#145 - Medium Gray

Stikpusher wrote:Our AMPS guys went to Europe a couple of summers ago and did a similar project, using those Airfix starter pack kits. They built them on the bus between stops and at night in their hotel rooms. I’m sure that you’ll have fun.

And there is something to be said for quick simple builds, using pretty much just what comes in the box.
Very cool idea!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

They’ll work close enough. Although I’m surprised that they didn’t include the new RLM colors instead. And you can mix up an RLM 66 for the cockpit using the black and medium gray shade. But the objective here is having fun, not accuracy. So have fun!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Glad to see you back to building
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Floki wrote:Glad to see you back to building
Thanks for writing; I know it’s been awhile since I’ve trod the forum boards, and I need to catch up with what is happening as well.

There are two major challenges. The first is how to stretch four colors into as many as possible to create additional ones, such as silver (prop hubs), tan (seat belts/harness) and the second is how to create softly modulated upper fuselage and upper wing camo edges using a brush.

Port/starboard views from the Brown essay:

I have a modest series of goals today: opening the box, trying out the paints, removing the parts from the sprues to dry fit the major components. I will write later to update everyone here.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

I am following and I am excited if you will be able to meet your own schedule. My suggestion is not to research too much and to focus on the things which are in the box. The result won't disappoint you.
I know you like the 190 and Christmas is close. (Mystery mode off...)
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Missed this yesterday...I’m in bed by this time!

What an interesting project. So good to get you back building.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”