Brengun 1/72 Kugisho Ohka

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Brengun 1/72 Kugisho Ohka

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

They are indeed tiny.

The Kamikaze version is going to be two shades of grey. Brengun shows two interpretations of the camo scheme: one shade of gray or two. I want to build I-18, it is a wel documented aircraft and there are original colour photographs available. I have those in an excellent article in a German magazine (FliegerRevue X).
Further there is also a good article on Aviation of Japan that supports the two shades version. And Brengun also refers to an article on J-aircraft. I think it is a good gesture of Brengun to show the sources and the discussion about the interpretation of the colours.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/09/ ... 1.html?m=1

The trainer has two options: grey/green (like a lot of Japanese aircraft) or grey/orange. I am going for the latter because I already have a few grey/green Japanese aircraft so that would be boring.

Currently I am masking the canopies. There are eleven window panes on each canopy so that is a surprisingly large amount of work.

ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice they gave some links for reference. Good stuff!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Yes, only disadvantage is that I keep finding small thing that I need to improve. I have added these small air intakes, drilled out the rocket exhaust and added a hook to which the Ohka was attached to the Betty. Latest addition, I am trying to make counter balance weight. You can see this in de second picture. I have used copper wire with a drop op white glue.

The canopies have also been masked. There are eleven panes on each canopy so that toke some time.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Small does not equal simple, does it!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

My eye fell out. Now, where did it go?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I started the painting, black base with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black. It went on like a breeze.

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

First layer of paint is the on. Japanese army grey, a greenish grey for the fuselage of the kamikaze. The wings will be light grey (as will the underside of the trainer).

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well sprayed, well sprayed indeed!
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Loads of pictures in this post. My wife is gone for the day and my son has a friend over to play so I had two hours straight to do some modelling! That is a rare occasion.

I did two airbrush sessions.
First Japanese Navy Grey (Tamiya). On the kamikaze the contrast with the Japanese Army grey is less then expected/dependent on the angle and lighting.

I then masked the trainer using the box art (which was to scale) as a template to cut the masks. To protect the box art I first put on a piece of wide cello tape. The home made mask was cut into three sections (nose to wing, wing, wing to tail) to ease application.
I then sprayed the orange (Humbrol 82 and 69 in a 50/50 mix). Everything was thinned with Mr self levelling thinner.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice work on the masks. Nice that the box art was in scale, too.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”