Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Post by Stuart »

Very nice mark! I really do like that Rolls Royce armoured car, I don't think 've ever seen one of those built up before.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Carlos! It seems that lately I only have time for 'quickies' unless I get to Hobby Days.

Thank you Stuart! I've seen a number of those Rolls built up before, and since it is such a handsome looking armored car, I always intended to build one. I just never got a kit of one since other models were more wanted more. When this Rolls arrived in a box with a bunch of other free models, then I decided right then and there to get it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Finally I can start another tour after a month of being away. This is all work I did either before we had to clear the hangar for the B-24 commission build; or after it was done. Let's start in that Hangar....

The Horten's cockpit got painted:

We also painted the machine guns, not knowing if they were going to be visible:

Got the nose on. This pic is from before it was sanded smooth:

We then test fit the wings to see if there's any issues with the nose section:

Later we fastened the wings in place and closed up the cockpit:

Now that one is ready for masking and paint, so we moved on to the FJ-1 for my Pakistani Air Force.

We finished off the cockpit tub and added it to one side of the forward fuselage pod:

Next this called for the addition of photo etch shrouds as well as a four-piece HUD assembly using two photo etch parts and two clear parts. I lost the provided clear parts, so we took some clear packaging; cut it to shape and used it instead. Remember; this is a 1/72 scale instrument panel and HUD:

Here's a semi-closer shot of this, showing how poorly I did with the instrument decals and HUD:

That is a slightly larger than standard alligator clip, so you have a size reference.

Next we assembled the engine exhaust. This kit provided a full set of photo etch parts to build the engine with; but after the ordeal with the HUD; I opted for simple!

Closed up the cockpit inside the forward fuselage pod; then added the HUD/instrument panel assembly; then cemented to the rear fuselage:

That don't look too half bad in there:

We then immediately added the canopy and windscreen to this to protect the HUD and ready this for paint:

Now we are done touring the Hangar, time to head to the Motor Pool....
Here in the Motor Pool, we finally started painting the SdKfz 234/4 with the stripes for the camouflage. This pic was taken after I realized I had already started the second color:

We then painted the gun shield. Looking at these pics; I saw for the first time where one of my cats jumped up and tried chewing on the barrel. Gonna have to see if I can fix that:

My Hobby Room door kept opening overnight, allowing the cats to explore without my supervision. I fixed that by removing the strike plate altogether; it doesn't open on it's own now!
Moving on, while we were painting the SdKfz Pakwagen, we also added camouflage to the Geschutzwagen rail car. First the brown color:

Then the green:

Those two will be finished very soon. Meanwhile I felt like I wanted something simple and nostalgic. I pulled out this ancient ESCI ambulance and we got started, building the chassis first:

Then we built the cab, as much as we could and still paint the interior:

The box was next; this was simple, easy and fun:

This little thing is so close to paint now after about 15 minutes:

Next was a set of RAF Bomber Command resupply vehicles that we'd been tinkering with now and then adding a few pieces here and there between other projects. Well, these vehicles are now about ready for paint:

Then as the day was winding down, we decided to do a little upgrading to the factory floor, adding a few new tools and desks and such: These were from three kits I bought some years ago and finally found again, They are all resin and were quite difficult to build on some of these. First we built the compressor:

Then we did a lathe and a desk filled with tools and stuff; apparently is was overloaded. Gotta add a rear leg to that:

Finally a drill press and another desk, here shown with all the other previous pieces of equipment. We'll probably be tinkering with these between builds as well.

That concludes this tour. Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: Looks like your almost ready for paint on the Horten and the FJ-1 (a new type to me… I was thinking USN FJ-1)
And you were able to accomplish all this while working on the B-24? :shocked: Or was it before and afterwards? :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I think it's a FC-1
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool stuff Mark!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Quite interesting! Well done all around, too!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:Bat: :Bat: :Bat: :Bat:

Great stuff Mark!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Great stuff, indeed! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Carlos! They are both ready for paint once the canopies are masked. And it's actually the FC-1; I can never remember that! Yes, all this work was done before and after I worked on thew B-24. All personal model building was stopped completely until I finished that bomber.Hobby Days were instrumental in allowing me to get the ';after' work done; my hobby room at home still looks like a battlefield!

Thank you Johnny, yes, it's the FC-1. One of these days I'm going to remember that... :bag:

Thank you Mike!

Thank you Lyle! It sure helped having different projects going to keep everything fresh!

Thank you Stuart and Blacksheep!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”