New floors...the saga continues

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

New floors...the saga continues

Post by LyleW »

Okay, we are now on Day 8 of getting new flooring while living in the house. All the old flooring, except the master bath was pulled up. This included around 70 SQYDs of carpet and pad and some 1200 SQFT of 2 1/2" wide by 3/4" thick oak flooring. All of that is on the main level. The carpet was all upstairs.

The installers are nice, professional, seem to be easy going...but they only work about 4 hours a day. They arrive around 10 am, take lunch at 11:30 and wrap up by 3 or 3:30 pm. So, the eight days could easily be four or five days.

Then yesterday when they were clearing out the flooring in the great room, they found 3 areas of rot by the french doors. Those have been fixed. In the half bath there was rot all around the toilet - probably 15 x 24 inches to be replaced. I guess that will take up today.

On the main floor, our bedroom, closets, foyer and dining room are done. Still to go are the kitchen, kitchen dining area and great room. The kitchen and kitchen dining are still have the hardwood down. . . . this may never end.

Did get to sleep (so to speak) in the bed last night. Both of us are completely exhausted.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: New floors...the saga continues

Post by Tojo72 »

Hi Lyle,sounds like light at the end of the tunnel.By coincidence I'm Getting 500 Sq ft installed in my bedrooms today,the cheap basic carpets that the builders put in two years ago need to go,so that's happening today.So far so good.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

What is the new flooring Lyle?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Tojo72 wrote:Hi Lyle,sounds like light at the end of the tunnel.By coincidence I'm Getting 500 Sq ft installed in my bedrooms today,the cheap basic carpets that the builders put in two years ago need to go,so that's happening today.So far so good.
They knocked out the carpet in one day and it looks great. It wasn't the builder's grade, but not sure how far up the totem pole it is. They have just arrived and are getting at it. I hear some one bangin around in the half bath.

Talked to the place we bought the flooring and I was told what I thought I already knew...they are only scheduled here through today, so they will have to finish it up. They are scheduled on other jobs tomorrow. We will see!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

They joys of remodeling. We had a lot of work done in my current home after we moved in. Literally touched every room, some more than others. Start to finish... 1 year, but worth the wait. Hang in there Lyle.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

hang in we will...no other choice. The owner was out of commission this morning with low blood sugar...happened to him one day last week. It seems to knock him for a loop for the day. So they are down one man.

a few years ago we did pretty much the thing on the main floor - painted, got new counter tops, tore out the master bath, etc. Oh what fun....
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

In a way, I'm kinda glad that I just rent a house.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

There are many pluses to renting!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah I don't have to pay for repairs and whatnot.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Gary Brantley wrote:What is the new flooring Lyle?
Hey! Gary! This is the new stuff. It is a heavy, vinyl plank, 9” wide, 72” long.

Return to “Free Discussion”