Revell [Ex-Aurora ‘64] 1/8 BATMAN!!!!

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
speedgraflex

Re: Revell [Ex-Aurora ‘64] 1/8 BATMAN!!!!

Post by speedgraflex »

Tom, That’s great news about your brother in law. From what you wrote it sounds as though he is having a lot of fun!

You’re right. The original group is known as the “Aurora 13.”

Frankenstein
Dracula
The Wolfman
The Mummy
The Phantom of the Opera
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde
King Kong
Godzilla
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Witch
The Forgotten Prisoner of Castle Mare

Here’s what my putty works looks like underneath. Since the new resin head is a solid cast I drilled out holes top and bottom to accommodate a pin or in this case a toothpick. This is enough to hold the angle that I want for his head. I think it’s not necessary to replace the toothpick with a brass rod but I might do so.

Here’s what his head looks like attached.

Here’s the back of his neck.

Here’s a view of him on my kitchen table. The basil plants are Carlotta’s touch!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That looks really good Bruce and is feathering in nicely
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

speedgraflex wrote:Here’s a view of him on my kitchen table. The basil plants are Carlotta’s touch!

A co worker plants basil at work. Since he’s Lebanese, I always ask if I can have a few of his Lebanese marijuana. :giggles:

Aside from that, the head is looking good.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce! Another masterpiece under construction. Brilliant photography as well showing all the awesome detail and technique you employ!

Batman has always been my top favorite superhero; mostly because his "superpowers" come from his own ingenuity. That fact that he has the wealth to see them to fruition helps tremendously of course.. :lashed:

I love watching your build threads. I'm always on the lookout for your next project. Nice touch with the basil too. Carlotta's definitely a keeper!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much for your reply, Clint. Sincerely. I was doing a bit of back and forth about how much feathering was necessary and like to think that I hit the sweet spot with just enough, not too much. I also am mindful that the headpiece is a separate piece of his costume, so there sound be a demarcation there between it and the rest of the bat suit.

Thanks so much for your reply, Tom. It’s always good to hear from you, and I am glad everyone enjoys basil plants no matter where they’re from! I added the “Aurora 13” list as much for your benefit as my own. I tend to forget the majority of those kits. I would like to build Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy one day. I’m just not sure what I can bring to each one that would be different.

Thanks so much for your reply, Mark! I appreciate your words so much. Truly. Batman (and Green Lantern, Superman, etc.) artist Neal Adams passed today. He was 80 years old. Here are his thoughts on Batman, from a 2007 interview with Bryan Stroud.

Neal Adams: Well, certainly Batman is a hero, but Batman is the antithesis of the superhero if you think in terms of what superheroes have become. You know, bitten by a radioactive spider is pretty much the standard. Batman is the opposite of Superman. You have Superman, who is the most powerful superhero there is, essentially and almost too unrealistic to consider to deal with and on the other end of the scale you have a person who is in fact not a superhero at all.

Stroud: Absolutely true.

Neal Adams: He wears a costume, but that’s to scare people.

Stroud: Yeah, yeah exactly. His primary method is fear, inciting fear.

Neal Adams: So you see between Superman and Batman the opposite ends of the scale, the whole of the comic book industry.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, that is a perfect summation for that whole genre by Neal. I love it!

I also thoroughly enjoyed Frank Herbert's final confrontation between Batman and Superman in the Dark Knight series. Fantastic! I have to say, I was rooting for Batman in that conflict. :bag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very nice Bruce, that's going to be a big model when done.

The Batman has always been a favourite of mine, he's always seemed more real than a lot of the other superheroes - one that can be portrayed really cartoon-esque or really dark, yet still essentially be the same story says a lot about the character.

I love me some fresh basil, with marinated tomatoes, mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes and some balsamic - all on fresh bread... Yum!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, gents! Stuart… you made me hungry hahaha!!!

Game changer!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice! My guess it’s similar to Mek?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Same as Tenax 7R.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”