1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Incredible work to details...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Another epic build in progress.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The D-9 is my priority one project and as long as I can keep that one moving, I'll be letting the Hien wait. I've slowed on the Dora build as I contemplate the wiring additions in the engine compartment so I've tinkered a bit more with the Hien.

The cockpit sill and bulkhead behind the pilot is offered as part of the Aires photoetch fret. It is thinner and has rivet detail that the kit plastic lacks. And yes, I have been running a mask test for the tail markings!

There is a fuel regulator nestled between the vertical walls that I am going to add.

I've made some modifications to the starboard cockpit wall. I've added some wiring and an oxygen regulator.

The regulator was cannibalized/modified from the Revell Bf109G-6 kit and based on drawings found in the Japanese language book on the K-61/Ki-100, Model Art #428. The oxygen line was made by winding copper wire over wire and will be trimmed to length after the cockpit has been assembled.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hi John,

I am definitely following along although due to a glitch I am not receiving updates. I will check in manually every couple of days. I think you paint figures really well, and would like to see you add a standing figure to the kit, perhaps! (Maybe Z-M has a decent figure?) I always appreciate your shots of sprues, and know that you will find ways to improve the overall level of detailing in what is an impressive kit.

Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

speedgraflex wrote:Hi John,

I am definitely following along although due to a glitch I am not receiving updates. I will check in manually every couple of days. I think you paint figures really well, and would like to see you add a standing figure to the kit, perhaps! (Maybe Z-M has a decent figure?) I always appreciate your shots of sprues, and know that you will find ways to improve the overall level of detailing in what is an impressive kit.

Cheers!
Thanks Bruce but no figures for me! I've learned that I just don't enjoy painting figures that much. Life is too short to do things that you don't enjoy so I'll try to keep that to a minimum... sorry!

Additional futzing around the cockpit prior to the painting stage... the lap harnesses are from the Aires PE fret. I heated them with a lighter to get them to be a little more pliable. The pad under the buckle end was replaced with a piece of foil as the brass was too stiff to manipulate within the confines of the seat.

The port sidewall was slightly enhanced with some wiring and a throttle linkage rod.

This is the resin cockpit floor. The control stick and the larger lever have not been glued into place yet.

Some of the resin+brass components have been sprayed with a primer (Mr Primer Surfacer 1000).

The I fabbed a couple of canopy release levers because I thought the PE versions were a bit overscale and awkwardly flat.

That color illustration I posted earlier made me think about the oxygen tube. It is shown to be attached to the mask. Would it more interesting to have the oxygen tube connected to the mask instead of the regulator? I didn't have a mask but I did have this head...

So I snipped and carved the rest of the head away, leaving just the mask. So now I have a few more options when it comes to posing the oxygen tube.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m at a loss for words. You are a Zen Master of modeling. Your attention to detail is incredible.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The mask will add a lot of interest to the cockpit, I would definitely use it
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Excellent detail. I love the bigger scales for birds, more details to be had.
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Ingenious idea on carving the head away for the mask
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

tempestjohnny wrote:Ingenious idea on carving the head away for the mask
I had thought about doing that on a project. Now I’m gonna have to do it. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”