42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Re: 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle

Post by SteveSki »

Base Redo

Several of the keen eyes reviewing this build log have come to the same conclusion as I have. The base was way too big and the figures really lost meaning when they were placed so far apart. This set is intended to be “up close and personal” and the base really had to go bye-bye. Great test run, though.

Taking another chunk from my wife’s drift wood stash pile I cut a section that had the most character. I had originally intended on using this slab, but passed it up, hmmm. I recon I needed some practice first, HA!

Spoiler alert: I’m intentionally not showing the front view. This is a placement test and it would be bad form to jump ahead and expose the intended final result before it’s time.

You may notice after close scrutiny that some of those delicate parts, such as a bayonet, a few bayonet scabbards, and one thumb, plus some other minor parts might be missing from the finished figs. Clumsy sausage fingers, what else can I say? This happens every time and the final punch list is standing by as usual.

There is a way to make the ground work mesh with these swirls in the drift wood and preserve its uniqueness. I’ll post SBS pics on that portion. Stand-by for the finale, it’s not far off now.

Thanks for watching and all comments are welcome. Cheers, Ski.
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Oh man, I can't wait to see it finished. :popcorn:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Coming soon, Brother, coming soon. Been working it for the past two days, yehaaaaaa!

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Medicman71 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:24 pm Oh man, I can't wait to see it finished. :popcorn:
:P1:
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Thanks, Johnny!

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Base Work Continued

While working the last two figures I neglected the “base in progress” photos posting, so here they are. Sometimes we can get ahead of ourselves, lol. I also included a pic of the intentional layout soon to be. All the base work is standard practice, nothing new to see here.

Close up of the intended Royal Regiment in action. Note, the Rifleman has had his intended orientation altered to a more correct interpretation of action since this photo was taken. I think I’m revealing too much at this stage, but I’m pretty stoked at how this is playing out so far.

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Apologies for being missing in action, it's been pretty much non-stop work on this dio.

French Cuirassiers

This pony rider is finally done, minus the weathering. I really enjoyed working this last figure, it was rather painless compared to the first nine figures. The only issue that just wouldn’t go away was the tassel on top of the helmet. I couldn’t keep from dinkin that thing every time I handle this guy. It is now safely set aside so I don’t lose it. I’ll be placing this figure directly to the base now because of sword scabbard placement, head dress, and the delicate base work within the immediate area; the less handling, the better.

Image Image

The breast plate was treated with Uschi Polishing Paste, Blitz Rounds Set A, Item 4014. This is some incredible stuff as are all of Alex’s products. I used this set for all the brass and gold work on this entire project. Make sure your work area is well ventilated, the paste fumes are brutal and so is the thinner required for clean-up. The set can be found here: https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categ ... ing-paste/

You may have noticed the French Rifleman has not been featured since his completion. He’s already been attached to the base for some of the same reasons as listed above, only with him it was his thumb that kept getting knocked off, lol.

Now that the figures have been completed, I will work each one separately by weathering them to match the base, add dirt work, wound details, and blood splatter, etc. Once that’s done it will be off to the photo bench to close out his incredible set of figures.

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: I don't know what's going on but suddenly I can see your photos - finally!

Absolutely stunning figure work Steve :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Good deal, Stuart.

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”