Decanting question

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Decanting question

Post by jkim »

I've got an old Paasche H as well. Cup is larger and deeper than the Iwata so this method should work just fine. The H is a good workhorse but you really should check out a double action gravity cup brush... SOOOO much easier to deal with in terms of cleaning/maintenance.

Here's a short video of the decanting process if anyone is interested...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Great video John. That's the way I've done it for years.
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

jkim wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:06 pm .....I'm using an Iwata HP-C Plus which has an average sized cup on top and I've had no issue with paint flying out of the cup. ....
Great! I have an HP-CS which I'm 99% sure is the same paint cup, so I should be golden to give it a try.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:01 pm I've got an old Paasche H as well. Cup is larger and deeper than the Iwata so this method should work just fine. The H is a good workhorse but you really should check out a double action gravity cup brush... SOOOO much easier to deal with in terms of cleaning/maintenance.

Thanks for the video John! So simple! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

And yes, I’ll second your recommendation of a gravity fed double action airbrush. I absolutely love mine!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:52 am
jkim wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:01 pm I've got an old Paasche H as well. Cup is larger and deeper than the Iwata so this method should work just fine. The H is a good workhorse but you really should check out a double action gravity cup brush... SOOOO much easier to deal with in terms of cleaning/maintenance.

Thanks for the video John! So simple! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

And yes, I’ll second your recommendation of a gravity fed double action airbrush. I absolutely love mine!
I STILL haven't had the chance to use mine, even though I got it ib May :headbang:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

You’re not the only one, Stuart. I’ve got 2 gravity feed ABs and not yet used them :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

That video is awesome, John. Thank you.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

John, one last question- what type of thinner did you add to the decanted Tamiya pain? I don’t recall hearing you specifying any particular type/brand in the video clip.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 pm You’re not the only one, Stuart. I’ve got 2 gravity feed ABs and not yet used them :bag:
Stuart and Tom. When I bought my Iwata NEO a couple of years,ago. I questioned how much different it could be. Yeah I ended up throwing out all my siphon feed. Just too much work to clean compared to the gravity feed
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stikpusher wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:15 pm John, one last question- what type of thinner did you add to the decanted Tamiya pain? I don’t recall hearing you specifying any particular type/brand in the video clip.
For the video, I used Mr. Leveling Thinner but Tamiya Lacquer Thinner works just as well with AS-12.

tempestjohnny wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:01 am Stuart and Tom. When I bought my Iwata NEO a couple of years,ago. I questioned how much different it could be. Yeah I ended up throwing out all my siphon feed. Just too much work to clean compared to the gravity feed
Yes! The gravity feed cup is a simpler design and makes clean up so much easier. Also allows the use of much smaller quantities of paint. I can spray a drop of one color, flush the airbrush and shoot a second color within seconds. It has really changed the role that my airbrush plays in my workflow.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”