Aurora Kit No. 121: 1/48 Boeing P-12E

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Aurora Kit No. 121: 1/48 Boeing P-12E

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice choice, Bruce. Reminds me of the old Monogram Goshawk F11C-2 I did as a kid. Now ya got me wanting to find that F11C-2 kit. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Very nice choice, Bruce. Reminds me of the old Monogram Goshawk F11C-2 I did as a kid. Now ya got me wanting to find that F11C-2 kit. :giggles:
Thanks, Tom! Good luck finding the kit, if you do decide to build it again. All the best. More online research:

Profiles cover illustration by R. Ward (I think)

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I was never overly keen on the P-12 Bruce, but seeing all of your research pics has made it grow on me - that's actually a really smart looking biplane.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart wrote:Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Always a pleasure, Stuart. I am looking forward to your progress as well! Here are a few more images of the P-12. Since I am using the Classic Airframe decals, I suppose my subject will be aircraft 7 of the 26 PG in Panama, 1931 or 1932. I did a fifteen minute online search and got bupkis. Anyone out there know more?

Classic Airframes box art

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What info are you looking for on your project Bruce? The unit history at the time? Without an aircraft serial number it’s hard to pin down an airframe history, as the plane in group number can change. Not to mention the unit assignment of the airframe over time.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Carlos! I checked with the Army Air Corps Museum. They use a book I found online called “Air Force Combat Units of WWII,” as a data source. I am still fact checking what I posted below.

19th Composite Wing / 16th Fighter Group

The base of the 19th Composite Wing to which this a/c was assigned activated December 1, 1932. The squadron insignia was four lightning flashes bendwise above the Latin words for “We Clear the Skies” (Purgamus Coleum). Activated in the Panama Canal Zone, Albrook Field.

Served as a part of the defense force for the canal. Used various types of aircraft, including P-12's, P-26's, P-36's, and P-39's, prior to World War II; equipped with P-40's in 1941. Redesignated 16th Pursuit Group (Interceptor) in 1939, and 16th Fighter Group in 1942. Disbanded in the Canal Zone on November 1, 1943.

Squadrons. 24th: 1932-1943. 29th: 1933-1943. 43d: 1940-1943. 44th: 1938-1939. 74th: 1934-1938. 78th: 1932-1937.

Stations. Albrook Field, CZ, 1 Dec 1932-1 Nov 1943.

On October 15, 1932, following improvements to the drainage system on the field, the 78th Pursuit squadron deployed to Albrook from France Field with their P-12 biplanes. At this point, flying operations picked up, and tactical exercises took over from the aerial target duties that had dominated previously. Subsequently, the 78th was split into two squadrons, the 74th and 78th Pursuit Squadrons, which were augmented by the 44th Observation Squadron. These three squadrons at Albrook joined others at France Field to form the 19th Composite Wing, which comprised the entire Army Air Corps contingent in Panama.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am gathering the paints and knowledge about the colors used. Carlos was extremely helpful. He told me that the fuselage green color was “Olive Drab 22,” a “more brownish shade” than the World War II colors. Now I have to translate that to Testors bottle color. The other issue I have is whether I shoot a layer of primer on the pilot figure before painting. I’m not sure how that would be handled by someone painting the figure 70 years ago.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Bruce, the perfect color I used is Aeromaster's Finland I.D. Yellow FS 23538. Since Aeromaster is no more, Chrome yellow (FS 13538) or even Insignia Yellow (FS 33538) might work for you. What is the yellow Federal Standard # call out on the instruction guide?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great subject! I've always liked the between the wars biplanes but never built one. This will be inspiring
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:I am gathering the paints and knowledge about the colors used. Carlos was extremely helpful. He told me that the fuselage green color was “Olive Drab 22,” a “more brownish shade” than the World War II colors. Now I have to translate that to Testors bottle color.
I’d suggest using their Olive Drab and mixing in some brown, either flat military brown or flat dark brown.
speedgraflex wrote: The other issue I have is whether I shoot a layer of primer on the pilot figure before painting. I’m not sure how that would be handled by someone painting the figure 70 years ago.
For the pilot I’d suggest using the Testors 1/4 oz square bottle range mixing colors to paint what is needed using a good old fashioned brush. No need to prime. Those enamels go on just fine on their own.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”