Richard Petty 1969 Ford Torino

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
mostrich
Admin

Re: Richard Petty 1969 Ford Torino

Post by mostrich »

Besides the hickup with the wheel fit it is a real good looking model. I'm a sucker for classic cars in light blue.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this one. Tom, the car itself came out very well indeed. The tires and stance......AMT kits seem to suffer from this every now and then. It's one of the only areas of AMT cars that I really dislike. 67 Mustangs from them have the same ass-low/ front high stance with the front tires jutting out from the fenderwells :headslap: .
I tend to buy two kits any more and read whatever kit reviews are out there before I start cutting sprues. Both of these actions have saved me a ton of frustration and serve as a heads up. For my AMT Mustang AND Camaro builds, I used the spare kit to build up a complete unpainted model to see what difficulties I had with the kit after I read reviews and made modifications accordingly. It's a tad bit more expensive to build a model this way but you'll save yourself alot of headache when building the real thing.
If you do tackle a second one let me know and I'll acquire one of these and we'll go through the whole stance and wheel/ tire positioning gig together.
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Well, I agree. I think this came out really well and certainly looks the part. However, I also agree that front tire is wrong, just wrong. My theory is that you have two sets of rear wheels. And the offest for the fronts is much deeper to the inside. It may even have too wide of a tire up there as well, but being Nascar they should be equal. Sometimes you can cut the front spindles and pull the tires in like you have to do on many C3 Corvettes. Or, you may need to source an offset wheel and tuck them in if there is room. Looking at the pic of the real car it appears to me that the fronts and rears are indeed running different backspacing, which makes sense. I totally think you can correct that wheel/tire issue on the front and have it fit far better.

As far as the rear goes, they were SUPER tight on the racecars, so tight on the model looks proper. Anyway, don't beat yourself up over this, it is a fantastic looking build. :shoutout: :bow:
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you. I agree. I knew I was in trouble the minute I tried to mate the body to the chassis. WTF?!?! was my immediate reaction. Fought me all the way trying to get it on the chassis. But damn it was a very tight fit and it certainly didn’t look right tucked in. I’m still not happy with it. Joe did suggest another Torino kit and maybe I can salvage the whole body and interior and maybe it to the other Torino chassis. Otherwise, I’ll have to start over and buy another Petty decal set from the seller I got it from.
At least I still have enough Petty blue paint.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Lemme see if I've got the stock version "in stock". Maybe I can be of some help with helping you correct the stance Tom.

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”