Bell YRO-10 Liberty Bell, Enhance! Models, 1:72

Post your completed aircraft here.
Bolleken
Master Member

Bell YRO-10 Liberty Bell, Enhance! Models, 1:72

Post by Bolleken »

Bell YRO-10 Liberty Bell

At the end of the 1940s, UFO sightings increased steadily, particularly in the USA. In 1952, the US Air Force intelligence service and the CIA started “Project Blue Book". The goal was a systematic study to collect and analyze UFO sightings. The end of the project was decided in 1969 and all works stopped by the end of January 1970. With Project Blue Book the CIA wanted to analyze the UFO-phenomenon and its impact on the American population. Without empirical data on how people would react to an encounter with extraterrestrials or their crafts, national security was seen as being at risk. Since the secret service had come into possession of documents about a revolutionary German propulsion concept in World War II, the CIA commissioned the Bell Aircraft Company with the design of an earthly, bell-shaped aircraft for reconnaissance and observation (RO = Reconnaissance and Observation) as a top-secret black project. The revolutionary engine concept required such an unusual shape of the aircraft that whoever would see it in the sky identified it as a real, alien UFO. Beginning in 1959, the work of a small team. The CIA made sure, that non of the team members had any family connections and had never appeared in publications. Those engineers worked and lived at a secret base in the middle of nowhere. Their work led to the first terrestrial UFO, the Bell YRO-10 "Liberty Bell". The Y stood for test vehicle. Two prototype aircraft were built. The name "Liberty Bell" was chosen as nickname by the CIA because of its shape, which reminded remotely of the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. The rotationally symmetrical bell shape was cut by a cockpit module with enough space for one pilot. In case of an imminent crash this module was supposed to be blasted off to cover up any tracks and distract from the earthly roots of the aircraft.

Last edited by Bolleken on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bolleken
Master Member

Re: Bell YRO-10 Liberty Bell, Enhance! Models, 1:72

Post by Bolleken »

The Liberty Bell made its maiden flight on June 5, 1962 at Area 51, Nevada. At that time, a series production of ten Liberty Bells was planned. There were no characters, identifications or common symbols, signs on any part of the aircraft. Only Central Intelligence Agency was applied in the form of simplified hieroglyphs on the tower-like, insulating cover of the engine. The two Liberty Bell prototypes served for several years, and the data collected from their missions influenced the way the American government dealt with the UFO phenomenon.
Bell’s Liberty Bell became famous as Kecksburg-UFO when the first prototype crashed into a forest on December 9, 1965 near Kecksburg, Pennsylvania. Eyewitnesses reported that it was a bell-shaped (or acorn-shaped) flying object that had crashed there at high speed, trailing a trail of fire. The object lying there in the forest burned with bluish flames, while the object itself seemed to be maple-toned or brownish. Officials and scientist rejected the UFO-theory determined a larger meteorite or bolide caused that incident but the majority of eyewitnesses could not follow the official versions. After the accident, the CIA retired the remaining Bell YRO-10 gradually, although the crash provided scientific data. Some years after its retirement the YRO-10 was replaced by smaller UAVs.

Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

After I had already designed several parts for my 72nd models, which I then printed out in resin on my 3D printer, I asked myself whether it would be possible for me to develop a complete 3d-printed model kit made from resin. Can these parts be assembled into a scale model? A kit of a real model would not have been expedient for this attempt, since a lot of research with the risk of loosing focus on my goal and getting confused by details ect.

So I decided to do a what-if project.
I like to deal with the following thesis: A large number of UFO sightings that have never been explained (new name: UAP = Unidentified Aerial Phenomena) are actually UFOs, but their origin is not extraterrestrial, but rather man-made and controlled aircraft.
I found the Kecksburg-Incident particularly interesting in this context. On December 9, 1965, eyewitnesses reported that an unknown, bell-shaped (or acorn-shaped) flying object crashed at high speed in a forest near Kecksburg, PA.

If anyone is interested in the kit, give me a message.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Oh, this is great stuff Marius !

Looks really good and cool story as well

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I really love this! I think it was ancient aliens touched on this with some people saying they seen several men in nazi uniforms emerging from the craft. Saying that they must have achieved time travel. While others years later said that it was a engine that blew off a SR-71. Are you going to sell your files? If so I would like to but them and make one of these too.

I always wanted to make a dio of the nazi bell chained to the henge structure that some swear this was tested at hooked up to a bunch if sci-fi looking panels.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

Thank you both.

Kari, it is great to see that you like my what-if story.

Floki, actually it was not planned to sell the design files. But it is available as kit with decals from my side. Just need to know if you want to order one, price won't be shocking I assume. In the meantime

All the best
Marius
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Marius, you will likely be receiving a visit from these gentlemen soon…

Very nice work, I might add before this thread and your work disappears…. :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

Well Carlos "There Are Things Out There You Don't Need To Know About."
Upps wait there are two guys at the front door. Why do they have sunglasses on at night (German time). Wait....OMG they've found me, don't know how but they' be found me. Run for your body...
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

This is great. Fun stuff. I googled Bell YRO-10 just for kicks and this showed up - cheers :giggles:
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LOL!! Awesome - what a great bit of whatif and some fantastic bit of 3d design/printing. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Completed Builds”