Luke Field/AFB

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
Stikpusher

Luke Field/AFB

Post by Stikpusher »

Living near Luke AFB and seeing its aircraft overhead regularly has given me an interest in the history of the place and types of aircraft flown from there since it opened in 1941. I’ve done a bit of online research and it turns out this is the place that specializes in new fighter types for the USAAF/USAF and turns newly minted pilots into fighter pilots. In tribute to those flyboys overhead, past and present, I am planning to build many of the types that have called Luke home since 1941, if a kit and markings are available in 1/48.

So far I have kits and markings for

AT-6
F-15A

decals for

F-104G
F-4C
F-5E
F-16A
F-35A

stay tuned…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: Luke Field/AFB

Post by jeaton01 »

You're going to need a SPAD XIII, Carlos...
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

What about all the foreign air forces that train there?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote:You're going to need a SPAD XIII, Carlos...
:giggles:

I think that those had been phased out by 1941… :hmm: Although I could build Frank Luke’s SPAD, who the base is named after…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Medicman71 wrote:What about all the foreign air forces that train there?
That would be the F-104G, although the aircraft wore US markings. Lots of allied nation F-35 pilots here nowadays. But unless somebody comes out with a far less costly 1/48 F-35, I’ll stick with USAF. Falcon Field over in Tempe was an RAF training station during WWII. The Bundesluftwaffe trains all over the Southwest, depending upon the aircraft type. F-4Fs at George & Holloman, F-104Gs at Luke, Tornados at Holloman.

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Stikpusher wrote: :hmm: Although I could build Frank Luke’s SPAD, who the base is named after…
Exactly :puzzle:
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote:[Lots of allied nation F-35 pilots here nowadays.
This is really interesting Carlos!

I just read that in end of 2025, the first 18 Finnish Air Force pilots will get F-35 training. Probably then there at Luke AFB.
Which would be really cool!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

And forgot to write, really nice plan you have !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

The Arizona Baloon Buster! Funny - I just did some of that research after your comment in another thread. Should be a nice collection. You could add the F-84G and the F-84F in Thunderbird colors as the Thunderbirds were activated at Luke in 53 and moved to Nellis in 56.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote:The Arizona Baloon Buster! Funny - I just did some of that research after your comment in another thread. Should be a nice collection. You could add the F-84G and the F-84F in Thunderbird colors as the Thunderbirds were activated at Luke in 53 and moved to Nellis in 56.
Yes I was planning to add the F-84 Thunderbirds to my collection, both the F and the G, and will update my lists when I get those kits into my stash. The Thunderbirds even started with F-100Cs at Luke before being moved to Nellis.
KSaarni wrote: This is really interesting Carlos!

I just read that in end of 2025, the first 18 Finnish Air Force pilots will get F-35 training. Probably then there at Luke AFB.
Which would be really cool!

- Kari
And forgot to write, really nice plan you have !

- Kari[/quote]

Thanks Kari. I have a similar plan for the AVG/23rd Fighter Group, since that was my son’s first assignment in the USAF. I haven’t seen any Finns here yet either on or off base, but I have seen other nations student pilots and ground crew here from time to time. But yes, the Finns will train here if they are to be trained in the USA.

FLSM

Return to “Future Builds”