Aircrafts of Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Aircrafts of Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY

Post by BlackSheep214 »

First known as Rome Air Depot in 1942 during WW2. After a series of names and realignments, it was finally named Griffiss Air Force Base in 1948 - serving in many facets during its existence from Air Reserves (1946 - 1949), Air Defense Command during the 50s, Rome Labs, and finally Strategic Air Command when it conducted strategic bombardment readiness, conventional bombardment operations and air refueling operations on a global scale using B-52 Stratofortresses and KC-135 Stratotankers right up until its closure by the Base Realignment Committee (BRAC) in 1993.

The bomb wing served during Vietnam and Operation Desert Storm in 1991. An SR-71 Blackbird also paid a visit to Griffiss for a land refueling in 1986 prior to the US/NATO bombing of Libya.

Various aircrafts made their homes temporarily through the years - particularly the interceptor wings. Partial list:

F-102A Delta Dagger
Corvair F-106A Delta Dart
F-101 Voodoo
F-94 Starfire
F-89 Scorpion

Strategic Air Command - 416th Bombardment Wing

B-52 Stratofortress
KC-135R Stratotanker

My plan is to start a collection of aircrafts that made Griffiss AFB home. I currently have the B-52 Stratofortress kit that included Griffiss AFB markings. Am looking for another kit that was stolen from me by contractors during a house service call several years ago. The B-52 kit I currently have is the G model. The kit stolen from me was the B-52H.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Aircrafts of Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY

Post by Stuart »

Cool - another one, a great idea for a Theme with some good subjects. When I move to Wales perhaps I should do RAF Valley.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

If anyone is interested in reading more on Griffiss AFB, here's a link:

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/ba ... is_AFB.htm
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

cool project. Almost enough to do a 2-3 year group build project on this type of subject. Wouldn't that be something?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Future Builds”