AVG Hawk 81 A2 (P-40)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

AVG Hawk 81 A2 (P-40)

Post by Stikpusher »

So all this talk about future collection builds got me to pull my long sidelined Monogram P-40 off the shelf and resume construction.
I don’t know exactly when I started this kit, but I do believe it was sometime after I came home from overseas deployment in early 2006, and moving out of that house in summer 2011. I did a few improvement mods to the cockpit and fuselage, but most were not well referenced and I decided to just resume construction to get it done. I’ll get ahold of another kit and have another go at it somewhere down the line.
Anyways, this is how the kit was this afternoon when I pulled it off the shelf of doom. The fuselage was mostly together and seams cleaned up, and basic wing and tire construction completed

So this evening I installed the wings

and a little bit of reference inspiration…

I’m gonna be working on this during the usual paint or glue drying pauses on my F2A, and if that one is completed first, it will be full speed ahead here.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: AVG Hawk 81 A2 (P-40)

Post by jeaton01 »

Carlos, if you really want to do the Monogram kit I have four extras that I bought for $2 at a show just because I didn't want them going in the dumpster. I had more but I gave some away to kids. I like the kit, but I like the new Airfix kit a lot better. I have a Monogram kit in the display case in AVG markings.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

John that sounds most tempting. Are they the old white box issues of the Monogram kit?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Can't remember. One is PA96.98, probably one of the first three years. There is one 6803 and there are two 5209 kits. The one I built was a 5209 and it was pretty well molded, although I think the plastic could have been a bit thicker to give more rigidity, especially the wings.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I remember building that kit at least once as a kid. What kid could resist that iconic shark mouth
Thanks,
John
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Good progress of a kit I also would want, some day, build..

Well, at least the one and only Warhawk that was in use by the Finnish Air Force back 2nd WW
(was though never in combat, but still in Finnish markings)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

What I find truly amazing is that it's survived that long on your shelf of doom with all of it's guns intact!

Great subject choice Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

There's nothing quite like resurrecting an old project. Love it.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote:Can't remember. One is PA96.98, probably one of the first three years. There is one 6803 and there are two 5209 kits. The one I built was a 5209 and it was pretty well molded, although I think the plastic could have been a bit thicker to give more rigidity, especially the wings.
The 6803 is a 70’s era white box John. I remember building several of those when I was a boy. PA 96 is the old original blue box. Man that’s an oldie… unless it’s one of the SSP 90’s era re boxings of current sprues in the original style packaging. Those usually came with a commemorative patch as well.
keavdog wrote:I remember building that kit at least once as a kid. What kid could resist that iconic shark mouth
You and me both John! This one and the Revell 1/32 Flying Tiger P-40E…
KSaarni wrote:Good progress of a kit I also would want, some day, build..

Well, at least the one and only Warhawk that was in use by the Finnish Air Force back 2nd WW
(was though never in combat, but still in Finnish markings)

- Kari
Kari if you’re gonna build a long nose (early) P-40, I’d recommend the new Airfix kit. It’s hard to beat. This is more of a “nostalgia” build. Not to mention that I bought it long ago and it sat in my stash for god knows how long. I still remember where I bought it and what with. Just not exactly what year… but a Finnish P-40? Sounds interesting. I presume it was captured from the Soviets?
Stuart wrote:What I find truly amazing is that it's survived that long on your shelf of doom with all of it's guns intact!

Great subject choice Carlos!
Stuart, the guns were easy enough to keep intact. The kit has been stored in its original box while sidelined.
KennyX wrote:There's nothing quite like resurrecting an old project. Love it.
Thanks Kenny. Last year I completed two old builds, and one the year before. My eventual goal being to one day have no more old builds to resurrect… :whistle: yeah right :headslap:

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I remember getting a stack of those for my sons cub scout pack. We had a good couple of weeks building those with the boys

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”