AVG Hawk 81 A2 (P-40)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: AVG Hawk 81 A2 (P-40)

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote: Kari if you’re gonna build a long nose (early) P-40, I’d recommend the new Airfix kit. It’s hard to beat. This is more of a “nostalgia” build. Not to mention that I bought it long ago and it sat in my stash for god knows how long. I still remember where I bought it and what with. Just not exactly what year… but a Finnish P-40? Sounds interesting. I presume it was captured from the Soviets?
Thanks for the tip Carlos, I took a look at the reviews of the Airfix kit and indeed, very tempting! :hmm:

Regarding the Finnish P-40M, yes, captured from the Soviets or perhaps the Soviets handed over it :giggles:

Quoting from https://plane-encyclopedia.com/ww2/curt ... h-service/

"Although the Republic of Finland was never a recipient or official operator of the P-40, they were still able to obtain a single example from a Soviet pilot who landed in Finnish territory with his pristine P-40M. Serving mostly as a training aid, the Finnish P-40 Warhawk would never see combat against any of Finland’s enemies"

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh it’s the M version. Hasegawa does one of those in 1/48… exactly what you need…

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegaw ... ce--101194

I’m sure the national insignia decals are the correct type as opposed to the box art.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

tempestjohnny wrote:I remember getting a stack of those for my sons cub scout pack. We had a good couple of weeks building those with the boys
Nice! When I was in Cub Scouts, my pack got the Monogram Wildcat kit for us to each build. One of several times that I built that one…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote:Oh it’s the M version. Hasegawa does one of those in 1/48… exactly what you need…

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegaw ... ce--101194

I’m sure the national insignia decals are the correct type as opposed to the box art.
Yes!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Way to resurrect a build off the SOD, Carlos! I remember those old Monogram kits when they went to the white box with model photos. Even as a kid, I much preferred the painted box art.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. Yeah those white box tops were kinda boring to look at, but the kits inside were good stuff. I’m with you on preferring the dramatic painting box art. In my mind, Revell and Hasegawa had the best artists churning out the artwork.

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I agree on the box art. One of my favorites:
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I built the Academy one and made the mistake of using their decals. Those grey spots near the nose, that's where the paint peeled up when I tried to remove the decals that had shattered.

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah Academy decals are hit or miss. They have some boxings that come with high quality Cartograph decals, and others with some really crappy Academy decals. Did you buy some replacements for your P-40?

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote:I built the Academy one and made the mistake of using their decals. Those grey spots near the nose, that's where the paint peeled up when I tried to remove the decals that had shattered.

Mike and Carlos, maybe all of us together here would have enough AVG birds to form a squadron! :grin:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”