1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow that looks awesome!!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Medicman71 wrote:Wow that looks awesome!!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks! I know it seems a very odd way to paint it, but it works, lol. You can mask over the acrylic craft paint, I just prefer not to press my luck and do it as little as possible. So the only time I will mask over it is for the markings, and wing walkways. Which I should be able to get to tomorrow some time.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks good. Half of my paint stash are acrylics. You name it...

Tamiya - some say they’re not good for handbrushing. Hogwash!
Model Master - I know some folks don’t like them but I’ve never had issues with airbrushing/handbrushing them.
Aeromaster
Mission Model
PollyScale
Floquil Railroad Colors
AK Interactive Real Colors - only 2 colors
LifeColor

Granted they are a different animal but after testing of finding the right thinner : paint ratio, it’s not that hard. Priming and using the correct thinner based on brand paint used is key.

Do I miss Testors Model Master enamels? Yes, I even like their acrylic lines too.

Unfortunately, Rustoleum made the decision to discontinue Testors Model Master line because they feel there’s really not a “market” for them anymore.

Face it, acrylics are the new enamels from a majority. Humbrol still make enamels and Testors still have the little square bottles enamel colors. Tamiya has a small lacquer line as well. We all have to roll with the changes and adapt.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The model looks exactly like the real one. Looks great
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looks good. Half of my paint stash are acrylics. You name it...

Tamiya - some say they’re not good for handbrushing. Hogwash!
Model Master - I know some folks don’t like them but I’ve never had issues with airbrushing/handbrushing them.
Aeromaster
Mission Model
PollyScale
Floquil Railroad Colors
AK Interactive Real Colors - only 2 colors
LifeColor

Granted they are a different animal but after testing of finding the right thinner : paint ratio, it’s not that hard. Priming and using the correct thinner based on brand paint used is key.

Do I miss Testors Model Master enamels? Yes, I even like their acrylic lines too.

Unfortunately, Rustoleum made the decision to discontinue Testors Model Master line because they feel there’s really not a “market” for them anymore.

Face it, acrylics are the new enamels from a majority. Humbrol still make enamels and Testors still have the little square bottles enamel colors. Tamiya has a small lacquer line as well. We all have to roll with the changes and adapt.
I'm using acrylic craft paints for this. The ones that cost a couple of bucks, like Apple Barrel, Folk Art, Anita's. I use probably 3-4, and mix them to get the shade I want for the upper wing/horizontal surfaces, and the fuselage. I am willing to bet there is no actual model specific paint that would actually match. My biggest issue is when it is mixed you land up with little bits of paint that can clog up the airbrush, and they hard to clean out. Don't use acetone, the paint curdles instantly. I found using plain old soap and water in my ultrasonic cleaner was the best route to go. I use a 75/25 mix of Pledge floor shine(Future)and water to thin the paint. No actual paint to thinner ratio, it's just thin it until about the consistency of whole milk, and that usually works well.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

tempestjohnny wrote:The model looks exactly like the real one. Looks great
Thanks! I was looking at her today in the hangar and kept thinking I needed to adjust the colors a bit, but I'm not going to do that. She looks different when inside, outside, sunny, cloudy, angle of the picture etc. So as long as I'm close I'm happy with it. This will be the third time I've mixed the paints, and I'm sure none of them are exactly the same color. Just too many variables to match them precise. Close is okay with me. Otherwise I'll drive myself nuts. Wouldn't be a far drive though. :lol:
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Quite a bit of progress made today. Usually once I get painting done the rest of it goes pretty quickly.

First of the markings. I put all the masks on, then painted everything white. Pulled masks on anything that only needed to be painted white.

Next up was placing the pieces of mask on the insignia so I could paint the blue, and covering up the R on the tail so I could paint the tail number yellow.

All the painting done, and masks removed.

Then onto some detail painting with a brush. Wing walkways, fuel caps, emergency exit window markings, and chalk number.

Engines, props, and gear on. Did some weathering on the bottom as well. Hopefully have it finished up tomorrow.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great and lots of progress. I have to try those insignia masks. That is one big model!
Thanks,
John
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks! The masks work really well. I made them with my cricut using removable vinyl. I was a bit worried with how tacky they were using them over the acrylic craft paint, but they didn't pull any of it up. I have the same removable vinyl on the rear side windows of my truck. I made invasion stripes with it, and put an insignia on top of it. They've been on the truck well over a year. I've took a few chunks out with an ice scraper, but they've held up really well. I go through Delta Sonic all winter long as well.

The cricut has really been a life saver just with the stinking W, lol. That is a really tough one to do with masking tape. I've got all the masks already cut for a few more C-47 projects. Whiskey 7 was pictured with two different Troop Carrier Squadrons back during WW2, so she wore a 4C, and S6, and I want to build one in each marking.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:wub: That is a fabulous looking build thus far - I'm really liking how this is coming out.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”