Tamiya 1/48 F2A2 USN VF-2

Post your completed aircraft here.
Stikpusher

Tamiya 1/48 F2A2 USN VF-2

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, here it is, my first “Yellow Wings” build in well over 40 years. This is the classic Tamiya 1975 vintage kit, in a later rebox, finished in the markings of VF-2 “Flying Chiefs” circa 1940. This was the first monoplane fighter plane taken into service by the USN. Paints are Tamiya for the aluminum lacquer & Lemon Yellow, Model Master Acrylics for the Chrome Yellow wing upper surface, and Testors enamel square bottle for the True Blue 3rd Section markings. Decals are a mix of kit decals, Microscale & SuperScale, and Yellow Wings Decals. Aside from adding a 3-D decal harness in the cockpit, everything else is OOB for assembly.

Posed on an Eduard US Carrier Flight Deck base that I painted into pre war colors

“Pilots… Man your planes.”

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are welcome.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F2A2 USN VF-2

Post by Medicman71 »

Absolutely fantastic work!!! Love it!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great job. She turned out fantastic - way to give that old kit a proper build. Flight deck looks great as well. Those chubby little Buffalo grow on you don't they? Looking around I don't think their are any flying F2s. From wiki - Only export models of the Buffalo are preserved. There is currently a complete Finnish B-239 (BW-372), a VL Humu variant (HM-671 at the Central Finland Aviation museum), and two replicas – one in ML-KNIL markings and the other in U.S. Navy markings.
Then again only 509 were built. I've got to do a yellow wing or two after your inspirational build. Well done.
Thanks,
John
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

That's great. Looks well cared for without being a museum piece
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gorgeous.... simply gorgeous. That’ll be a nice little screen saver on my PC or iPad.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Great looking bird
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys! In the end, this turned out better than I thought it might before I had it completed. It actually took first place at IPMS on Tuesday evening for the “Between the Wars” contest. :wow:
Medicman71 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:35 pm Absolutely fantastic work!!! Love it!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

I still feel it was a bit rushed in the ending steps, and there are some rough spots… not fantastic, but good enough
:wink:
keavdog wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:19 pm Great job. She turned out fantastic - way to give that old kit a proper build. Flight deck looks great as well. Those chubby little Buffalo grow on you don't they? Looking around I don't think their are any flying F2s. From wiki - Only export models of the Buffalo are preserved. There is currently a complete Finnish B-239 (BW-372), a VL Humu variant (HM-671 at the Central Finland Aviation museum), and two replicas – one in ML-KNIL markings and the other in U.S. Navy markings.
Then again only 509 were built. I've got to do a yellow wing or two after your inspirational build. Well done.
Yeah, it’s too bad that there aren’t any more around. The Buffalo does grow on you, like the Gee Bee racer, I-16, or the P-35. More pugnacious bulldog type monoplanes. The flight deck was fun work to. I need to get some washes on it to bring out all the detail.
tempestjohnny wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 pm That's great. Looks well cared for without being a museum piece
Yeah, I wanted it to look slightly used, but well cared for like photos show from that era. Lots of time for maintenance and cleaning things up in the pre war Navy.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:39 pm Gorgeous.... simply gorgeous. That’ll be a nice little screen saver on my PC or iPad.
That’s not a bad idea about the screen saver or background… :hmm:
Tojo72 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:44 pm Great looking bird
Like John said above, the design does grow on you. It has some 30’s “Art Deco” lines about it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Congratulations on the win!
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Fantastic news on the win!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a superb looking build Carlos, I can't find anything to criticise if I'm honest, I think you've nailed the yellow wing look spot on. I like the light wash, what did you use?

I've always rather liked the Buffalo, it's got it's own charm about it - I really should make one for my RAF collection.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Completed Builds”