Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Any plans of using metal gun barrels instead of the kit’s gun barrels? :hmm:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:08 pm Any plans of using metal gun barrels instead of the kit’s gun barrels? :hmm:
Yes, I have some aftermarket items coming for this build. They are:

1. Eduard P-47D PE Interior Set
2. HGW P-47D Fabric Seat Harnesses
3. Profimodeller P-47D Brass Gun Barrels (Smooth)
4. Barracuda P-47C/D Wheels (Diamond Tread)
5. Barracuda P-47 Part 1 Decal Set (Donated!)
6. Eduard P-47D Canopy Masks

If there was a resin cockpit available, I'd be all over it but there is none designed for this kit.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Looking at the clear instrument panels, I discovered that the one for the Razorback does not have molded detail on the faces but the plastic is still very thick. So I fiddled with the idea of drilling out the gauges on the clear instrument panel... it did not go so well!

Needing something else to play with without actually starting the build, I decided to check my color options for the Olive Drab/Neutral Grey finish. I have these colors in both Mr Hobby Aqueous and AK Real Colors.

Here are the colors shot on a test mule with a flat coat applied. Mr Hobby on the Left, AK Real Color on the Right and my attempt at figure painting in the middle.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

That girl looks like taken from a Roger Leloup comic. Quite the 60's style.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ouch! Looks like AM instrument panel is on order?

That figure looks better than my Star Trek figures painted up. LOL!

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The wait for aftermarket pieces continues. I have a couple of pieces but since the cockpit is usually the first place to start, I'd really like to see the Eduard interior set before anything else. I already have the Barracuda resin wheels to replace the rubber ones that come with the kit.

The markings for Eileen are hard to come by since the Barracuda P-47D Part 1 decal sheet is out of print. I got lucky and a generous modeler at LSP sent me his sheet with Eileen markings intact.

I immediately scanned the decal sheet and traced the letter/number codes for this machine to cut custom masks for. Here's a test of the masks on my paint mule. I sprayed the masked area with a light coat of clear gloss before painting. It is a good insurance policy to guard against any paint leaking under the mask.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice. I’ve been on the fence whether or not to invest in a cricut machine myself for about a year now. If I do decide to invest in one, I wouldn’t know how to use it to make my own masks - let alone what material I need to get to make them. This all new technology to me.

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Great to see a P-47 on the bench!

You might want to have a look at Yahus IP's.
I bought a few years ago for my P-47 1:32 project (still not started as the kit is still missing ) Yahus IP, looks pretty good

Below a pic of the I-panel I have

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Wow, that is very nice Kari! Man, what crisp detail! :grin:
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:25 pm Very nice. I’ve been on the fence whether or not to invest in a cricut machine myself for about a year now. If I do decide to invest in one, I wouldn’t know how to use it to make my own masks - let alone what material I need to get to make them. This all new technology to me.
How to make the mask files is the big question. I'm not sure how others do it but since I am adept in AutoCAD, it's easy for me to create the DXF files that the Silhouette Portrait software uses to cut masks. I simply import scans of decals or photos or even model parts into AutoCAD, use the photos to trace the mask shapes and then send the files to the cutter.

KSaarni wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:44 pm Great to see a P-47 on the bench!

You might want to have a look at Yahus IP's.
I bought a few years ago for my P-47 1:32 project (still not started as the kit is still missing ) Yahus IP, looks pretty good

Below a pic of the I-panel I have

- Kari
Coincidentally, someone at LSP also mentioned the Yahu panel for the P-47. I looked it up, was impressed and ordered one! Another aftermarket piece to add to the puzzle!

Since I am matching the Barracuda resin wheels to the kit landing gear legs, I wanted to check out the fit between the two.

The landing gear legs have some prominent molding seams and big sprue gates that need clean-up.

The kit wheel is made of rubber or vinyl.

Strangely, they portray the back side of the wheels with spokes which is wrong... wonder why Trumpeter made more work for themselves here? More importantly, you can see how snugly the wheel fits onto the landing gear axle.

The Barracuda wheel was designed for the Hasegawa P-47D kit and the hole for the axle is in between the two sizes featured on the Trumpeter axle.

I've had bad experiences trying to enlarge an existing hole so I decided to approach this another way. I cut the axle pegs off of the kit legs and found a section of plastic in my spares box (Fw 190D-9 landing gear legs) that fit the Barracuda hole. I attached pieces of this donor using a brass pins and CA glue to the kit legs.

The new axles fit the Barracuda wheels tightly, which should make alignment of the flat spots easier when it comes times to stand the model up.

I am modeling Eileen with the wheel covers so these were cut from their casting blocks and trimmed to fit.

Next, I turned my attention to the tail landing gear. No resin replacement so I'm forced to use the black vinyl one. Looking at the tail landing gear leg, it looked suspiciously weak. So I had thoughts of replacing it with something stronger. I think this is do-able but I need to make sure that the tail wheel fits on this new metal axle, which I fashioned from a large paper clip.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”