Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by jkim »

Ready to spin up a new project. Taking a break from my usual Luftwaffe/Axis subjects, I wanted to revisit another Allied aircraft and try an Olive Drab/Neutral Grey scheme. I've decided to on this one...

This is a P-47D-11-RE Razorback Thunderbolt manufactured at the Republic factory. It was piloted by Lt. Frank Oiler of the 78th FG of the 84th FS based at Duxford, England, 1944.

I'll be using the 1/32 Trumpeter kit for this build. I've reviewed multiple online builds of this kit. I have to admit that Trumpeter is not my favorite model company but from what I've read on line, the Jug is one of their better efforts. I expect some fit issues but hopefully we can overcome those and present a decent result.

An interesting aspect of this kit is the inclusion of a clear, 1-piece engine cowling. To Trumpeter's credit, the cowling is VERY clear to facilitate a view of the engine details but needless to say, I'll be painting this one!

The traditional clear parts: windscreen and sliding canopy look ok.

The front face of the instrument panel is presented as a clear part. The intention is to view the instrument details, supplied as a sheet of printed acetate, through the clear plastic. If so, why in the world would you mold instrument details onto the clear part? Nope, doesn't make sense but I'll be using an Eduard instrument panel and I can just leapfrog this silliness altogether.

It's a shame because the acetate instrument panel is rather well-detailed. Builders wishing to utilize the kit parts could attempt to salvage this situation by drilling the gauge openings from the clear instrument panel. Also included in the kit are some rudimentary photoetch parts including very simplified seat harnesses, which I'll be replacing with the HGW product.

Jumping to the main plastic parts, we find a very squat looking fuselage on Sprue A. Big and beefy is how I would describe this aircraft.

The entire exterior surface of the model is covered in rivets, represented by small holes. Some like this, some hate it. I consider myself neutral. I happen to like the look of rivets presented as small holes, but I prefer the smaller holes produced by using a rotary riveting wheel. For this build, I am trading in a bit of refinement for a lot less work and I'm ok with that.

The wings make up the biggest sprue in the box.

Some panels are left open if the modeler wishes to show the machine gun stations and ammo feeds. I'll be closing this model up so I'm hoping that these panels have a decent fit.

Four prop and two engine cowling options are provided but the Trumpeter instructions offer no guidance whatsoever on the differences or applicability of these options.

Which prop does this look like?
Last edited by jkim on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by keavdog »

Looking forward to this. I want to see what you do with the OD over grey.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh yeah! The Jug is a favorite of mine! A big brute of a radial engined fighter, like the F6F and F4U.

The prop on Eileen in the photo looks like the cuffed symmetrical paddle blade prop - the type on the lower left corner of the sprue. I’d have to check my Detail & Scale book to find the name of exact type in the photo. Nice that the kit includes all the different types used on the P-47. The original narrow prop, the two types of symmetrical paddle blades, and the asymmetrical paddle blade types. I remember reading in Robert Johnson’s autobiography how the paddle blade props really allowed the P-47 to harness the horsepower of the R-2800 engine and climb.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Oh this is gonna be another good one! The Jug is definitely a favorite of mine as well.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh yeah, so looking forward to following this one. :lashed:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I feel exactly the same way you do about Trumpeter. So over engineered a lot of their kits are that I won't even bother with them. If this kit is a departure from that norm, then they may be on the right track.

Looking forward to this John.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments. I'm actually quite excited to start this one.
Stikpusher wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:58 pm Oh yeah! The Jug is a favorite of mine! A big brute of a radial engined fighter, like the F6F and F4U.

The prop on Eileen in the photo looks like the cuffed symmetrical paddle blade prop - the type on the lower left corner of the sprue. I’d have to check my Detail & Scale book to find the name of exact type in the photo. Nice that the kit includes all the different types used on the P-47. The original narrow prop, the two types of symmetrical paddle blades, and the asymmetrical paddle blade types. I remember reading in Robert Johnson’s autobiography how the paddle blade props really allowed the P-47 to harness the horsepower of the R-2800 engine and climb.
I agree about the prop in the lower left being the best match. Hey Carlos... Is the Detail & Scale book worth getting as a reference for this build? I don't have much besides scans of the Squadron Walkaround and a couple of Kagero publications. Does the D&S book have any cockpit shots?

I've already shown the big important sprues so let's wrap up the sprue tour with the rest of the smaller frets. Another interesting aspect of this kit is Trumpeter's inclusion of the supercharger ducting, which becomes completely invisible after construction.

There are two identical sprues of ordinance, with some choices in drop tanks, bombs and even some small rockets.

All of the control surfaces are separately molded, which allows them to posed dynamically, if desired.

Trumpeter gives the Pratt & Whitney R2800 Double Wasp engine a lot of love and three separate sprues are dedicated just to the powerplant. The back of the engine is given as much attention as the front but for my build, cowling on and painted, I'll be concentrating on the view from the front.

Two sprues for the eight Browning machine guns. The blast tube ends are molded with hollowed out ends, which is a nice touch. The instructions indicate that the machine guns are to be assembled and installed prior to the wing halves coming together. Not ideal since this would interfere with the seam work and painting. The bays on this aircraft will be closed so I'll be looking for ways to allow the insertion of the blast tubes after wing construction.

The final sprue includes all of the cockpit parts. There is no AM resin available for the Trumpeter Razorback that I am aware of. I have the Eduard PE interior set coming to help spiffy up the interior.

The landing gear legs look pretty basic and appear to be fully compressed.

That's it for the kit parts.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

John, I’d say yes, the Detail & Scale book is worth getting. Especially if you’re planning to build more than one of the type. P-47s do tend to capture the imagination as you research them and will draw you deeper down that path. There are good cockpit photos in the book, particularly some un restored types, so bonus points there for time capsule value.

That Trumpeter kit sure is a far cry from the old Revell 1/32 Jug kits. I’m looking forward to watching you work your talents on this project! :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Carlos! I was eyeing that book and your recommendation pushed it over the top. I found it on ebay for less than $20 shipped so I have another incoming goody for this build!
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”