Tamiya 1/48 A-1J Skyraider

Post your completed aircraft here.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Tamiya 1/48 A-1J Skyraider

Post by keyda81 »

Sickly Skyraider :lol: Since I've been sick for the past 9 days. I think it's finally on it's way out.

I had started this back in March, and after completing the cockpit and gluing the fuselage halves together I tossed it back in the box. I guess I lost interest. When that happens it's always better I just toss it back int he box, and pick it up at a future date. Otherwise if I try to push through it I'll just rush it, and it won't turn out nearly as well as it could.

It's strictly out of the box, aside from the antenna, I added that. These are the types of builds I have fun with, when you can make it a "dirty bird". I had seen some very dirty ones online, and some that were super clean. I have to assume the super clean ones were restorations. I didn't want to go overboard.

Now the difficult task of picking something from the stash. :hmm:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Tamiya 1/48 A-1J Skyraider

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice! I remember doing the old Monogram Skyraider as a kid.

What do you have in your stash?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks! I have too much on the stash to list, lol. Half a doz helos, 30 or so aircraft, mix of WW2 stuff and later.
It all depends what sparks my interest and what I feel like doing. If I want something quick that won't give me trouble I go for a Tamiya kit if I have it. If I want something more in depth without a lot of putty, sand, prime, repeat I'll pick a newer kit with a lot of parts. If I'm in it for the long haul, pick an old Revell or Monogram kit, lol.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Very nice. The exhaust stains looks very much Skyraider
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks! That was one of the stressful parts. Trying to be oh so precise with the airbrush. Was a bit hard to get in nice and close with the wing in the way, lol. I love my Iwata Eclipse especially for projects like this with the SEA camo paint scheme. Glad I have two of them. I recently had to replace the valve in my original one, and had #2 as a back up while waiting for the part to come in the mail.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Lovely work! Ki think I saw where the USAF museum just unveiled a Skyraider.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great. I did the navy version some time ago. What a great kit.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s a very fine looking Skyraider that you’ve completed there Keyda! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: Bravo! And no Spad is complete without the exhaust stains and oil leakage. I build the Monogram kit back when it was the only game in town long ago. Yours came out much more nicely!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

LyleW wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:07 am Lovely work! Ki think I saw where the USAF museum just unveiled a Skyraider.
Thanks, yep, seen the posts on FB. Just finished the restoration. I've never seen one in person, so when I finished it, and put it next to a P-51 I was quite surprised at the size difference. It's a big plane!
keavdog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:59 am Looks great. I did the navy version some time ago. What a great kit.
Thank you, there is just something about a camo paint job that draws me in, so I'll always gravitate towards that, lol.
Stikpusher wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 am That’s a very fine looking Skyraider that you’ve completed there Keyda! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: Bravo! And no Spad is complete without the exhaust stains and oil leakage. I build the Monogram kit back when it was the only game in town long ago. Yours came out much more nicely!
Thanks Stik! I know very well how much radials leak oil, lol. I did the Revell one several years ago, I believe that was the AD-5 though. That was when I was still learning, and it really didn't come out great. So it got tossed, and this was the replacement. Much happier with this one.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful job! I built a 1/72 scale one ages ago, it doesn't look nearly as great as this! I also tend to gravitate to camouflaged aircraft, although my current lineup suggests otherwise.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Completed Builds”