Joe's 1/48 Monogram OS2U Kingfisher-Better Canopy Masks-01/05

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
joerix62

Re: Joe's 1/48 Monogram OS2U Kingfisher

Post by joerix62 »

What a terrific kit to choose Joe. Especially since you found the 3D AM set. This will be an incredible and epic endeavor. I definitely be following along on this one.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Oh man, seems the Kingfisher is in now!

I also bought a few months ago a Kingfisher, though the 1:72 scale (AZ Models).
Very simple kit based on the sprues, but the plane is so good looking.

Need to find in 1:48 as well !

Looking forward to follow your Kingfisher build as well Joe!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Best of luck, Joe!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Very cool looking,AM set and what a cracking looking aircraft.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thank you all for the encouragement and for tagging along.

I've seen that AZ 1/72nd scale OS2U Kari. If I built 72nd scale, I'd be all over that. Will be looking forward to a build thread on that one.

Mike: Kitty Hawk was going to release a Kingfisher? Honestly, I'm glad they didn't based on the nightmares I've seen with the 32nd scale kit. I'd love to see Tamiya release one though.

More coming on this as continued reference and "goodies" come in.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well? Is it done yet? I, too,, am looking forward to this build. Makes me want one.

Almost bought one today and then I thought, "Check you stash, dummy." Shazaam, Andy......The "high tech" kit is already there. I dug it out to look it over and it appears that there are two kits in the box, or most of two kits. The high tech version with PE and one of the older blue box versions. This seller had included the box top, side panels and instructions as well.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Sorry for the late reply Lyle. Yes sir.....you're gonna have to git on in here with this kit brutha. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Well folks.....my Camaro project is getting closer and closer to the finish line. In the mean time I thought I'd post something in here to provide some sort of update that I actually WILL be starting this kit next.

For starters, after opening the box from HELL (meaning the used kit) I found that this kit has already been started as well as violated in the process. I know......what did I expect from an already opened box that's 20+ years old already.

We're gonna call this "Exhibit A"

PE fret had parts cut from it ....

and PE braces/ rigging was totally destroyed by the last "builder" during installation....

Interior had been "started". I'm really hoping that this was a 10-year-old that attempted to build this kit. Yeah....I think I'll go with that.....

and most of the parts were cut from the sprues and alot of parts were missing.

Fortunately, the seller was honest and refunded the money that I spent on this kit. I've not always been so lucky.

This......is "Exhibit B" . A newly sealed kit that I used the refund money from "Exhibit A" to purchase.

I purchased a set of canopy masks from EZ Masks (Chris Loney in Canada) and will give these a try. To my knowledge....this is the only offering for canopy masks for this kit.

and now for the BIG news. I found a P6 Catapult on Shapeways that I had printed up for me to display this completed build on. Now I just need to find reference pictures for this beast in order to paint and weather it up.

LyleW
Admin

Re: Joe's 1/48 Monogram OS2U Kingfisher-Still Gathering Parts & Reference

Post by LyleW »

Yeah, probably should, Joe. As soon as I finish the other 12 rojects going on right now. I can't seem to get past a certain point on any of these. Paint seems to be the biggest sticking point. I do like the Kingfisher, though.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Re: Joe's 1/48 Monogram OS2U Kingfisher-Still Gathering Parts & Reference

Post by LyleW »

CRAP! Now I want that catapult. I am weak. I am. No, I haven't ordered it yet. That should be a mandatory inclusion on the Kingfisher kit. Glad the seller did the right thing. Now you have some spares if needed. I would. Thanks for the info on the masks, too!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”