The Duke Finishes Four Aircraft in December

Post your completed aircraft here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke Finishes Four Aircraft in December

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, three aircraft and a helicopter....

Despite having almost no time this month to do anything, I managed to squeeze in an hour or two occasionally on the bench. Thanks to Hobby Day though; which gave me a lot of time to work on things, I completed the following aircraft:
1/72 scale Hasegawa US Marine AV-8B Harrier

Yes, the canopy is a fogged out mess! That is the result of using Mr. Mask liquid masking agent. If it didn't remain sticky the whole time it was on the canopy, it dried up so bad I had to scrape it off with a chisel. The sticky part wouldn't even come off without major persuasion; it would just stick back to the canopy when I tried to scrape it off. I used Goo Gone to try and clean it; I coated it in Furture, you see the results of both attempts. I will try to source a new canopy and windscreen for this model. Until then, I'm calling it done. If I waited till every model part was found or damaged ones replaced; I'd never be able to claim completions!

Moving on.....
The next one is a 1/72 scale Revell German Ho-229 Horten Flying Wing "Blue 4":

Followed by a 1/72 scale Trumpeter FC-1/JF-17 Thunder done in Pakistani markings:

Finally we wrap up with another US Marine subject, a 1/72 scale Dream Models US Marine AH-1Z Cobra:

There you have it, the last aircraft built in 2022 . My apologies for the picture quality, I still haven't found my camera. Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Duke Finishes Four Aircraft in December

Post by LyleW »

Great additions to your collection. Are you going to try polishing that canopy?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Bummer about the canopy. Your production level is astounding Mark. Pakistan markings… very cool. I may have to look into more international markings. Great stuff
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That sucks on the foggy canopy. Loving the builds. Well done, Mark! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice foursome there Mark. For a little aircraft terminology help, it’s not three aircraft and a helo, but three fixed wing and one rotary wing aircraft :wink: Helos are aircraft too! You might hurt their feelings :giggles:
I bet like Lyle said you could polish up that Harrier canopy to clean up the fogging. Then a dip in Future and you’ll be all better.

Do you think that you might get any more builds finished before the end of the year next weekend?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LyleW wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:41 pm Great additions to your collection. Are you going to try polishing that canopy?
Thank you Lyle! To be honest, I did try to polish the canopy. Even after the Goo Gone treatment and other attempts to remove the gunk. All polishing did was make the mess worse, smearing the gunk even more.
keavdog wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:03 pm Bummer about the canopy. Your production level is astounding Mark. Pakistan markings… very cool. I may have to look into more international markings. Great stuff
Thank you John! I try to keep busy, although looking back I still wonder how I found the time to get this many done with all that was going on. Whenever I can, I try to find certain international markings to add to certain aircraft. It sure allows for more models to increase the size of the collection.

Thank you Blacksheep!
Stikpusher wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:03 am Nice foursome there Mark. For a little aircraft terminology help, it’s not three aircraft and a helo, but three fixed wing and one rotary wing aircraft :wink: Helos are aircraft too! You might hurt their feelings :giggles:
I bet like Lyle said you could polish up that Harrier canopy to clean up the fogging. Then a dip in Future and you’ll be all better.

Do you think that you might get any more builds finished before the end of the year next weekend?
Thank you Carlos! I'll try to remember that distinction. Maybe that Zulu Cobra was giving me such a hard time while building it because of my faux pas.As for the canopy, I did try to polish it and only smeared the gunk around even worse. Future didn't help; there was still too much residue still on there that wouldn't come off. I don't see any alternative but replacements.

Looking at my workbench I don't foresee anything close enough to complete in time. One tiny, slim possibility would be a WWI FWD 3-ton ammo carrier started by Reed West that I acquired. The build is practically done, just need to assemble the subassemblies, add details and paint. We'll see.

Thanks again guys for the awesome comments!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Great work Mark! Sucks about the canopy on the Harrier.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Duke man that was a heck of an effort to try and save that canopy :whiteflag: :hmm: Hope you can get a replacement soon. Looks like a great month for you. My favorite is the whirlybird :grin:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Mike! Yeah, it does. It ain't the first one to really mess up. I have an Mi-24 Hind in Nigerian markings that is done except for the canopy... :headslap:

Thank you Mongoose! I hope I can find something as well. We'll see. Yeah, it was a great month; probably my best all year when it comes to finishing models.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Congratulations on adding four more to the shelf Mark! Sorry the Canopy fogged so bad on the Harrier
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Completed Builds”