Monogram 1/48 P-40B/Hawk 81

Post your completed aircraft here.
Stikpusher

Monogram 1/48 P-40B/Hawk 81

Post by Stikpusher »

This is my last completion of 2022, Monogram’s classic 1/48 early P-40. This one has been sidelined on my shelf of doom for so long that I don’t remember when I started it. A rough guess is that I started it sometime around twenty years ago, give or take a couple of years, and finished it up on New Years Eve, my last completion of the year. I used Cutting Edge decals for Tommy Haywood’s mount, American Volunteer Group, 3rd Pursuit Squadron, early 1942. Paints are Vallejo Model Air that are supposed to be close match for Du Pont colors used on export P-40’s. Personally, based on period color photos, I think that the Earth color is too light and has too much contrast with the Dark Green. I did do a bit of work to add some missing details in the wheel wells and cockpit, as well as some drilling out of muzzles and exhaust stacks. It could sure use a bit more work in the cockpit and wheel wells, but I wanted to get it finished by the end of the year. Not to mention going back and opening up the fuselage again.

and my 1/48 P-40 family so far…

Thanks for looking
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: Monogram 1/48 P-40B/Hawk 81

Post by LyleW »

You make them look easy to build!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:14 pm You make them look easy to build!
You don’t hear all the cussing while I’m building them that makes my dogs leave the area… :whistle:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:14 pm Very nice! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks Tom. I’m glad that you like them.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice. Love the collection. I haven’t built one since I was a kid. Need to put that on the wishlist.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. If you look for one of these kits, I’d suggest looking for an older boxing for a better fit. I’m glad you like the little collection. I do like the P-40.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great collection of P-40s Stik, it's nice to see a B with some later models. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Great Monogram P-40 Carlos! I like the group pic too! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart and Gary, thank you. I like seeing the changes in the design when they sit by one another. They variances are subtle yet noticeable when you know what to look for. Now that the oldest P-40 in my stash is finished, I think I need to build the now oldest type in my stash up sometime soon… :hmm:

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Well done, Carlos. There were so many P-40 variants. I've got five in the display case and the only duplicate with yours is the Monogram B. Mine are the B, E, N (2), and Q.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Completed Builds”