So I had this crazy idea...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
cbaltrin
Master Member

So I had this crazy idea...

Post by cbaltrin »

This idea could stem from just being so used to seeing aircraft side 'profiles' in books, decal sheets and the like, but I had this crazy idea of building 4 or 5 aircraft models of the same type (P-47, 109, B-17G, etc..), but only building the fuselages (ie. leaving the wings, gear and horizontal stabs off), then mounting them all in a single shadow box and hanging it on the wall. What do you guys think? Of course, these would be cheaper kits...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: So I had this crazy idea...

Post by keavdog »

I recall seeing a single plane kinda done this way. Sounds fun. And pair up with someone to split the cost of the kits & decals. 1 of you builds left facing kits, the other right. Kinda like the boots story from Joe Galloway: :giggles:
My Great Grandfather Galloway lost his right leg at the Second Battle of Manassas in the Civil War, and Great Grandfather Reid lost his left leg at the Battle of the Wilderness. They ended up on adjoining farms. After the war, they got together once a year and went to town to buy boots. They would buy one pair and split them up, giggling over how they'd screwed the shopkeeper.
Thanks,
John
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

There a few pics I've seen of a builder who takes a kit and paints it but never takes it off the sprue. And then mounts the entire sprue tree in a picture frame
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This sounds like an interesting project. So many ways to bring it to life.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I think it's a great idea and would be even more greater to follow such a project !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I've seen this done before and it looks cool.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I remember seeing somewhere how one guy would build half of a plane, split down the center lengthwise, then mount it on a plaque or whatnot and display it on a wall with the wings protruding out… :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:47 pm I remember seeing somewhere how one guy would build half of a plane, split down the center lengthwise, then mount it on a plaque or whatnot and display it on a wall with the wings protruding out… :hmm:

Display on the wall with wings protruding? Oy... as long it’s not at eye level. Image walking into the wing? :giggles: :bag: :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:47 pm I remember seeing somewhere how one guy would build half of a plane, split down the center lengthwise, then mount it on a plaque or whatnot and display it on a wall with the wings protruding out… :hmm:

Yea, the wings sticking out would seem to defeat the purpose IMO
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

As long as they are mounted on the wall above the level of the owners head, all would be fine.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”