Monogram B-17G Out of Mothballs

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Monogram B-17G Out of Mothballs

Post by cbaltrin »

This is what is currently on my bench. The 'in box' photos is the state is has been in for about 11 years (since I packed it up to move to a new home). My idea was to build it like I would when I was a kid .. anyway.. it got forgotten about for quite some time... I finally decided to pull it out and get r done.
Hardest thing was figuring out the colors I used. Miraculously, I remembered the greed was Mr Color Olive Drab + a bit of white (think I have remixed that one successfully). I did not remember what grey I used on the fuselage though. I thought it was Mr Color neutral grey, but that is way to dark. Finally, I settled on Tamiya XF-66 light Grey.

So far I have finished the interior and installed the windows (except the ones that can be installed after the fuselage is joined).
I have also finished the engines and the wings. The wings were already glued together and some sanding of seams done prior to the move, but there was much more work of that nature needed still. Hope to get the wings painted soon.

Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Monogram B-17G Out of Mothballs

Post by keavdog »

Looks awesome inside and out. Tell me your painting/finishing/assembly sequence and how you handle seems on a painted model.
Thanks,
John
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

You were doing excellent work back then, Chris.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Thanks John!
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

keavdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:03 pm Looks awesome inside and out. Tell me your painting/finishing/assembly sequence and how you handle seems on a painted model.
I'm not really sure yet; obviously, this is not going to be a contest model. The important thing is to make the fit as good as possible before painting.
I may just leave the seams alone, save maybe the vertical stabilizer area. When I am done it should look just fine. Or I may try using a water based putty, wiping it smooth, and spot paint where needed.
Last edited by cbaltrin on Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

That whole thing looks great! It would pain me though to apply thin cement to that nice clean paint job :shocked: when i 1st saw it i though you had the fuse together :hmm: then i was stunned as i scrolled thru the next pics. Going to watch and learn on your build :cool:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I really like the wood grain work you’ve done on those areas of the aircraft! Outstanding work!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looks great. It would be a safe bet to say that the majority of us on this forum have built thus kit at least once.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

TheMongoose wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm That whole thing looks great! It would pain me though to apply thin cement to that nice clean paint job :shocked: when i 1st saw it i though you had the fuse together :hmm: then i was stunned as i scrolled thru the next pics. Going to watch and learn on your build :cool:
Thanks Mongoose. Like I said, I started out to build this like a would have when I was a kid.. Just trying to have fun with this one.
Yea, it's going to be interesting getting the fuselage together. Very interesting...
Stikpusher wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 pm I really like the wood grain work you’ve done on those areas of the aircraft! Outstanding work!
Thanks Carlos!
tempestjohnny wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:19 am Looks great. It would be a safe bet to say that the majority of us on this forum have built thus kit at least once.
Thanks TJ, You could be right -- this is the kit that started me on my modeling journey nearly 40 years ago!

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Damn.... seeing that brings back fond memories when I built it as a kid. I've always wanted to get another for years. I ain't paying stupid money for them.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”