Guys, be careful...more careful than me

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Guys, be careful...more careful than me

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yep, I also got one of those official looking Paypal e-mails asking for approval of a funds transfer. I looked at my Paypal account and saw no request for funds. I checked all past activity during the past month and nothing showed up. I promptly went back to my e-mail account and trashed it. It was certainly a convincing looking e-mail too; I almost called the number but decided to check my Paypal account first. I'm glad I did.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I don't know how or when, but that request was on my paypal screen.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

keavdog wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:27 am If you can get by, unplug it from your network.
it was until i reconnected to get on here this morning. Just before I sent the post above, and almost immediately weird things started. Someone over there was watching for the connection,.so i dropped it, unplugged everything and took it to the computer store. about $110 b uccks to get it wiped clean and a factory restore.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:31 pm Can you block this "Dennis" phone number? Also, pay attention to the phone number. If it shows up on caller ID, don't answer it. Or simply say so and so county sheriff fraud department, how may I help l you?
I am not worried about that. I can hang up on him. These clowns wijll usually just move on in a bit. It will be interesting to see if they try to pull lthat transaction again in the morning.
Stikpusher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:46 am The internet and financial services - making theft easier for the tech savvy… :scream:
It does do that.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Wow. I happens my friend. Glad it's turning out good. I got fooled, not easy to do a few years ago by a virus alert on my computer. I don't remember everything exactly, but I remember it really looked genuine. They had me going for some time, even gave them remote control of my computer, until I started getting suspicious, I unplugged the computer. Then hung up on them. They called me back exclaiming how important it was they finish. I told them to go to he'll :giggles: them promptly bought spyware malware protection.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have a McAfee subscription, but I need to find out if it will catch this type of thing in the future.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

When in doubt, it's probably too good to be true. Delete it with no remorse. I get all kinds of "official emails" all the time. I usually block them and report them as junk.

Definitely do be careful if you get text messages. PayPal and all financial institutions do not send text messages of warnings.

Best way to determine if it's legit.... look in the sender's address. A subtle misspelling is enough a hint. Again, when in doubt, ignore it.

Unfortunately, scammers tend to target senior citizens often because they know they will panic and do what they "recommend " what to do. Senior citizens almost always fall into that trap under the assumption it's really from their financial institution.

I apologize for ranting on but I'm glad you've got the situation handled.

These scammers are getting clever nowadays.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Tom, e are on the same page. I honestly cannot explain why I did it listen to all the warning bells.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle, a long time ago, my training officers told me to trust my gut. Now many years later, I listen to both. My gut has gotten bigger, but my thrust hasn’t. Trust must be earned in life, as you well know.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Just delete everything not familiar.Texts,emails,links,anything.
Don't engage in phone conversations,they can record your voice saying yes or okay and use that to sign you up for something

Really sorry you got embroiled in that mess.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Wow so many red flags! I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. In the future if you get something like this call Paypal CS from a number on Paypals website and not from the email they should be able to sort things out in a few minutes. If all else fails go straight to your bank or CC company.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Free Discussion”