acrylic retarder question

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

acrylic retarder question

Post by Gary Brantley »

I'm venturing into a little figure painting project using acrylic paint. It's been recommended that I use a retarder for the acrylic paint. I am pretty much a novice regarding acrylics so please bear with me; is acrylic retarder a "universal" product, or is it brand-specific? I have some ModelMaster, some old Pollyscale, Tamiya, Vallejo as well as some acrylic craft paint from HL. What kind of retarder do I need? Thanks for any advice or suggestions! :grin:
Stikpusher

Re: acrylic retarder question

Post by Stikpusher »

Model Master and Polly Scale do not need a retarder added to them for hand brushing. Tamiya definitely benefits from the stuff. And yes due to the varieties of acrylic paint formulas, it’s best to stick with a brand specific returner, just as with thinner for airbrushing. Vallejo Model a color does not need a retarder for hand brushing in my experience. First and foremost, for figure painting with the brands that you mentioned, make sure that you have a good primer on the figure first.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Carlos, first, thanks for that info. :bow: I'm curious what you think about the technique described in this "Night Shift" video; it does look almost too easy and I know there must be pitfalls along the way. When you have time, please watch the first few minutes to get an idea what's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN2m_c ... x=15&t=34s
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I don't use a retarder at all.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I watched that Nightshift video. It’s an interesting technique to watch. I have seen it demonstrated in person before, but this video gave a better explanation of the “meat” of the technique, the glaze layers. It is opposite of what I’ve always tried to achieve of having a good solid base color in one coat.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I'm going to have to watch that video later.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, he makes it look so damned easy. But practice makes perfect and I imagine he's had plenty of that. It does seem to be a simple method that produces a nice result, and that's sure what I'm after as a beginning figure painter. :grin: I may need one more run to Temple's Hobby Lobby for some additional supplies!

Return to “Modeling Discussion”