CB's Monogram 1/48 A-1H Skyraider Build

cbaltrin
Master Member

Re: CB's Monogram 1/48 A-1H Skyraider Build

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:51 am Got ya. One trick I like to do is skip decals for walkways and use paint. I'll paint those in flat black, mask 'em off, and leave 'em masked until the final reveal when I also take off clear parts masking. That usually gives a nice dead flat walkway area. Its rare that you get any markings on walkways, so that is usually not a problem.
Right, however, I actually forgot about the walkways altogether until painting was all done, then, noticed my tamiya kit had walkway decals...and, being short on time... :whistle:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

FINALLY DONE!
I have to say this was the most enjoyable build I have done in some time! I love the plane. I love the kit and I love learning about the SOS squads and the CSAR missions.

A few mods I made:
1) Master Model brass gun barrels
2) Added a few Quickboost antennas.
3) Scratch build the whip antenna.
4) Added quick boost Mk8 gunsight (modified slightly).
5) Replaced wingtip and tail light.
6) Kit ordnance was used, but I replaced the fuse mechanism on the Mk82's and converted two of the daisy-cutters into standard mk82's.
7) I decided the 'mystery bombs' were Napalm so I painted them aluminum...

Paint is Tamiya Acrylics and Lacquers.

Decals are Cutting Edge.

Now I need to get the one done with a big bumble bee on the tail! Thank you Monogram for this wonderful kit!

Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Great looking Sandy! You have turned this kit into one eye catching beauty! The colors are vibrant and your mods to the basic kit really enhanced the final outcome, Bravo!!!

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Thanks for the kind words Stik. The kit really was a joy to build and detail out -- despite its age, the only real spot the kit falls down is in the armament department. Don't know if it was the nostalgia factor, or that I just love Vietnam era aircraft, or I'm just stoked to be finally adding a Monogram Skyraider to my built list, but there was just some wow factor with this one that kept me going 110%. I am very happy with the result.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Chris you did great work on the kit. The kit is a classic and you made it shine to its’ full potential with your enhancements. As far as the load out goes, I think that Monogram based it off a couple of period photos.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Man, that looks sensational, Chris! :shoutout: That is a fantastic paint job on a great Monogram kit. :bow:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow!! It looks awesome!!! Great work!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Gary Brantley wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:47 am Man, that looks sensational, Chris! :shoutout: That is a fantastic paint job on a great Monogram kit. :bow:
Thank you Gary!

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Medicman71 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:45 pm Wow!! It looks awesome!!! Great work!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thank you Mike!

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:11 pm ... As far as the load out goes, I think that Monogram based it off a couple of period photos.
I was only referring to the crudeness of the tooling with regards to the weapons, but that kinda goes with the territory for the period the kit was released--other than that, I give the kit five starts :grin:

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”