Monogram Hawker Typhoon

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Monogram Hawker Typhoon

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you for the kind words.

I am very, very pleased with how the thin white stripe on the propeller spinner came out.

This afternoon, the yellow has been painted on the wings' leading edge followed with a quick shot of semi gloss clear for preparation for decals.

It won't be long before she's finished - mainly antenna, struts, tail wheel, gear doors, & rocket mounts are left to do. I'll probably have this one done no later than tomorrow night.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Here's something I have never, EVER encountered when doing decals..

I started with applying the roundels on the bottom side of wings. The first one went one good. Except, it left a yellowish tint on the outside clear edges. I quickly removed it from the model, flipped the decal on its backside and wiped away the ugly tint off and reapplied it back on the wings.

Here's what was left behind after the decals were off the backing paper...

Here's the decal set. I didn't think nothing of it except it looked old and faded.

Here's a picture of what the topside roundels looked like after being soaked and I moved one slightly...

Here's what was left behind on the Q-tip after wiping the yellowish tint from the backside of the decals...

Once the decals are on, they seems to adhere just fine after using Micro Set & Micro Sol.

Imageweb hosting images free

Already this looks like it's gonna be a chore wiping the tints off before applying them the the model. :bored:

I'm going to stop here before continuing on with the fuselage decals. I'm curious on what is the cause of the yellowish tint on the decal sheet. I know my sister bought at a thrift store in Maryland and had forgotten about it for a couple of years in her closet until she sent it to me earlier this past fall.

With that being said, either the decals were fading or it was once at a smoker's home prior to her buying it. I didn't smell any smoker odor when I received it (yes, the box was sealed) and while building it.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I've seen that before and done the same as you, Tom. Something in the soluable glue changes color with age, I doubt it has anything to do with storage. They say you can put the decals on a window and the sun will fix it but that's not a risk I would take, just to find the decals yellow again after a time. Your Typhoon looks great!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I see that a lot with old Matchbox and Airfix decals, like you I clean it off and they seem to work fine afterwards but it's a PITA to clean off. Not sure what causes it - I suspect John's right and the glue has just aged.

The Typhoon is looking excellent.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Bummer about the decals, but nice recovery. She's looking great.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great recovery!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Tom. I’ll add to the list of those who have had the decal glue change color also. I just figured it was age as well, and wiped off as much mess as I could. I was never too fond of Monogram or Revell decals made in certain time spans.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, that is the glue after it has aged. I typically will apply the decal, then go over it with a very wet brush to remove the visible aged glue, then finish the application afterward. I've never had any issues with the decal turning yellow again afterward.

This is looking great so far, looks like you've got this in the bag!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Decals are done! What a PITA it was to clean up the old decal glue onbthe backsides of the checkered sheet and the fuselage decals.

A shot of flat clearcoat will happen tonight and the final fiddley bits glued in place. She's heading round the final turn and the down homestretch.

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:38 pm Here's something I have never, EVER encountered when doing decals..

I started with applying the roundels on the bottom side of wings. The first one went one good. Except, it left a yellowish tint on the outside clear edges. I quickly removed it from the model, flipped the decal on its backside and wiped away the ugly tint off and reapplied it back on the wings.

Here's what was left behind after the decals were off the backing paper...
Very common with OLD Monogram decals (and perhaps others). This happened to me with my F-16 'Air Force Fighter'. I fixed it by soaking the decals to remove them from the original decal sheet, then brushing off all the yellow-brown residue with a wide flat paint brush. I rinsed the cleaned up decal in clean water then found an old Tamiya decal sheet to sacrifice in order to get some more glue back on the monogram decals... I don't think this process would have been an option for less sturdy (thin) modern decals :whistle:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”