The Chinese Balloon

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: The Chinese Balloon

Post by jeaton01 »

A balloon is a pretty stupid idea, I think. With all the spy satellites that travel over the country, the military better be used to keeping things hidden that they don't want to be seen and the balloon is trivial compared to that. The other issue, that it could be carrying something harmful is a different kettle of fish. I can see some logic in bringing it down over water, where there is less prospect of injury or damage on the ground and a much better chance of seeing what the balloon was capable of. I know that's how the democracies work, but all the political maneuvering seems quite beside the point to me. I also am wondering why it is the Canajuns didn't have an issue with it, being a part of NORAD.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:59 am
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:43 pm And they waited 2 days to make that decision o shoot it down?!? The rest of the world is certainly laughing at us.
Any normal President would immediately say shoot it down once it was sighted. The Pentagon didn’t want it shot down - which didn’t make any sense why.
So shoot down a large balloon with a really big metal thing underneath it over populated areas. That's smart.
Yeah, even a tin-foil hat wouldn't protect one from the falling debris. :grin: Gonna need some real heavy metal! :lol:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Medicman71 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:59 am
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:43 pm And they waited 2 days to make that decision o shoot it down?!? The rest of the world is certainly laughing at us.
Any normal President would immediately say shoot it down once it was sighted. The Pentagon didn’t want it shot down - which didn’t make any sense why.
So shoot down a large balloon with a really big metal thing underneath it over populated areas. That's smart.
It spent a LOT of travel time over desolate places with zero population as well. The thing could have easily been taken down while it was over such areas. The only positive of shooting it down over the Atlantic Coast would be a softer landing of debris into water as opposed to land. Less impact damage to recovered debris than if it hit solid ground.
jeaton01 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 pm A balloon is a pretty stupid idea, I think. With all the spy satellites that travel over the country, the military better be used to keeping things hidden that they don't want to be seen and the balloon is trivial compared to that. The other issue, that it could be carrying something harmful is a different kettle of fish. I can see some logic in bringing it down over water, where there is less prospect of injury or damage on the ground and a much better chance of seeing what the balloon was capable of. I know that's how the democracies work, but all the political maneuvering seems quite beside the point to me. I also am wondering why it is the Canajuns didn't have an issue with it, being a part of NORAD.
My guess is that if this thing was an actual snooper, it was sniffing for low power signals that cannot be picked up from space. Or they were possibly hoping to catch us unawares and doing things that are not done during their known satellite passes. As far as the Canadians go, what do they have to worry about being seen? They have zero strategic assets, and not in direct competition with Red China. Not to mention that the thing was over the desolate areas of their country in between Alaska and the lower 48.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gary Brantley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:24 am
Stikpusher wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:53 pm There’s something here from somewhere red
Something borrowed, something blue...
Something old, something new...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I heard on MSN, China admitted there is one somewhere over Latin America right now. Errant balloon my arse....

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

MSN? :bored:
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hey now.... at least I'm not looking at CNN.
Fox News reported it...

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:37 pm Hey now.... at least I'm not looking at CNN.
Fox News reported it...
Oh, well there ya go...better check a reliable source to confirm. :grin:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

MSN has all news outlets reporting the news.... :bored: :whistle:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Unfortunately, the vast majority of media outlets have a left wing bias. Don’t believe me? Just look at their manipulation of language over the years. Fox certainly has a right wing bias. Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”