Fiddle Spinning

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Fiddle Spinning

Post by LyleW »

Just a random musing this morning, whilst sucking coffee down. Watching you guys build is amazing to me. I know that time lapses between posts and progress, but zowie, wowie....I can't seem to make the same soet of progress. I guess I get sidetracked too easily.

What is your normal bench time? I usually come down to the Piddle Palace around 9 AM and stay for 3-4 hours. Then I'm done for the day. The dogs are sleeping, Wife is playing games on the phone and watching shows she likes.

I seem to have very , very slow progress for tha amount of time spent. Sort of like those fiddle spinners.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Fiddle Spinning

Post by Gary Brantley »

My normal bench time is pretty abnormal. It sort of comes in fits and starts for me. It's hard to describe, but I've got to be in just the right frame of mind to settle in at the work table in my study. I start feeling a little isolated in there at times. I wish I had a computer set up in there; I think it would help but knowing me, it would just be one of those easy distractions. But, when I do get to work and start making progress, well, time does fly! Sometimes I'm shocked by how long I've been working in there. But, surely, I'm one of the slowest building modelers around. When I see all the end of the year lists of works completed, I can only sigh...and then resolve to do better next year. Problem is, I'm running out of "next years" at a fair pace. :wink:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think the computer is the reason I don't get more done. Right now, I'm waiting for some glue to dry and chatting with you. I much rather be down here in the mornings and rarely come down after lunchtime. Don't know why. I take that back....These days Monday through Thursday, we go to our daughter's house to get the grandbabies off their respective busses. That takes up te 2:45 to 5-6pm time every day but Fri, Sat and Sun.

I am with you on time runnning out faster than it used to. I remember my Momma saying, "You are wishing your life away!" when I was younger. A meme on Facebook pretty well says it all...

"I know what I want to be when I grow older. YOUNGER!"
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

My bench time varies daily. Usually much later on after dinner once any family stuff/chores needs to take care of first.

I usually spend a couple hours on the bench or until my eyes get tired.
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Usually from around 4pm when I wake up until 8pm when I got to leave for work
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

On weekdays that I'm not at work, I'm always in the model room (man cave I guess). The wife is at work Mon-Thur so I have uninterrupted bench time till she comes home around 5pm. Now whether or not I do anything is another thing. I try to always to something. There are weekends that the wife is home that I hang out in the model room, especially now that the Nascar season has started.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Somewhere between nothing and 8 hours at the bench, no real pattern. Still finishing up the new garage so that takes up some model building time.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I usually don't get more than 1 or two hours at a time. It usually occurs before the rest of the house wakes up, or after it goes to bed. Recently I have been able to get some time off that corresponded to the wife and kids being out of the house, and I was able to go 4 or 5 hours straight on the Skyraider. The biggest issue for me is being able to have a reasonable expectation of uninterrupted time blocks. If I expect to be interrupted by something 2 minutes after I sit down, I won't work on anything -- what's the point. In that case I'll organized the bench, or jump on the computer and browse the groups or design camo or canopy masks for whatever projects I have in work... or more recently, work on some 3D models for parts. It's much easier to clicks save and close the lid to the computer than it is to stop in the middle of paint session or while your holding parts together waiting for the glue to dry.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'm a night owl when it comes to modeling. I'll stay at it until the wee hours or until the beer is gone :giggles:
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

keavdog wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:28 pm I'm a night owl when it comes to modeling. I'll stay at it until the wee hours or until the beer is gone :giggles:
Ya gotta.have limits!

Return to “Free Discussion”