Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by Stuart »

Green going on...

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wowser, zowie!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looks excellent
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The wraparound camo looks really good Stuart. Which brand of paints did you use?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I really like that camo scheme. I need to step up my modern UK fighters. I get a bit confused on the Tornado variants e.g. versions vs roles. GRx vs IDS/ADV/ECR
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The user air forces use those suffixes to denote roles. GR is for Ground attack Reconnaissance. IDS(Inter
diction Strike) roughly the save variant used by the Germans. ADV is the Brit Air Defense Variant, and ECR the German Electronic Combat Reconnaissance , the SEAD role.

The Brits have been using the letter suffixes since at least the immediate post war era to denote aircraft variant roles: FRS, GR, FG, B, etc.

Here is a great site on Cold War RAF aircraft

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/index.php
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents! :bow: This is only the first coat - I'm working on the second now.

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:38 am The wraparound camo looks really good Stuart. Which brand of paints did you use?
Thanks Carlos. I'm using a Hataka blue line RAF paint set for this build.
keavdog wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:54 am I really like that camo scheme. I need to step up my modern UK fighters. I get a bit confused on the Tornado variants e.g. versions vs roles. GRx vs IDS/ADV/ECR
Thanks John.

As Stik said, The IDS and ECR are the German and Italian strike and SEAD variants (I'm not sure the Italians had the ECR).

The RAF referred to their strike variants as the GR.1 and the later GR.4. These aircraft differed from the other German and Italian airframes by having different sensors and avionics (the under nose pods etc.) and a wet fin to increase range. You also had the GR.1B which was the Maritime Strike model and the GR.1A and GR.4A, which were equipped with extra cameras/sensors for recon and thusly only had one gun rather than the original two (as did the GR.4).

The Saudi's also purchased the British GR.1 version.

The ADV (Air Defence Variant) Tornado was solely a British endeavour. Called the F.2 and later F.3 by the RAF, it had a longer Radome to house the air to air radar, a longer fuselage to allow for the fitment of four Sparrows/Skyflash (which also gave it more fuel), Wings that could sweep back further, re-tuned engines and an internal/retractable air refuelling probe.

Again, the Saudi's bought a few and the Italians basically rented some ex-RAF airframes as a stop gap before the Typhoon entered service.

Hope that helps :-D

Oh yeah, build more British, as British jets are cool!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:21 pm Oh yeah, build more British, as British jets are cool!
Definitely! I watched Thunderball over the weekend and really loved the Vulcan scenes. Too bad there is no 1/48 Vulcan because that would be a must have. Not to mention that RAF recruiting video you posted a couple of weeks ago Stuart…

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Carlos, I think a 1/72 Vulcan is quite big enough, that's a lot of wing. In 1/48 it would be a useful shade for your patio.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”