Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Great work on the cockpit. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart! I remember my interest in the P-40 began and ended after assembling the cockpit as well. That brought back some old pain, but as Lyle said once famously in conversation or perhaps it was loosely written in an email:

“It’s only a model.”

I come back to his words often when I think about models; and I think you are entirely justified in your actions. Glad you found a nice looking jet to take away some pain!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents!

Made some more progress this morning - all the main bits are not together - asides from the intakes.

Thanks to not fitting the pylons etc, it's nice to have a model of a swing-wing aircraft where the wings actually swing.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking great!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Stuart! How does this kit compare to the 1/48 Tornado that you built awhile back?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents!
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:27 am Looking good Stuart! How does this kit compare to the 1/48 Tornado that you built awhile back?
Thanks Carlos!

Pretty much the same - they're from the same era and the way the kit goes together is identical. This will probably need less filler however. The detail in the cockpit is a lot nicer and there's a bit more to the U/C bays etc.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Let the sanding begin... (one of these days I must build a more modern Tornado kit that doesn't require three tons of filler...)

Cheers!

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Dude! I love what you’re doing! If I may venture something I learned from my Dad? If you use less putty and wet sand while the putty dries you won’t have to do as much sanding work at the end; you will have established a tighter fill. But seriously I have learned so much from you, and your figure work is as outstanding as your brush painted exteriors! Bravo!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Bruce - much appreciated!

That's a great tip actually. I had no idea you could wet sand this stuff as it dried - thanks for that!

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey Stuart, If you really get down to it—PPP and wet Q-tips to smooth it prior to setting is perfect for small gaps, and Milliput is perfect for holding larger sections. I also will follow up once the putty hardens with a bead of superglue which is a trick of my Dad’s as well. This smooths the seam out as the glue self-levels. My Dad would apply SG with a thin new plastic tip. Anyway—I am psyched to see your work, dude! This project is super!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”