Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:42 pm Hey Stuart, If you really get down to it—PPP and wet Q-tips to smooth it prior to setting is perfect for small gaps, and Milliput is perfect for holding larger sections. I also will follow up once the putty hardens with a bead of superglue which is a trick of my Dad’s as well. This smooths the seam out as the glue self-levels. My Dad would apply SG with a thin new plastic tip. Anyway—I am psyched to see your work, dude! This project is super!
Thanks Bruce! PPP and wet q-tips are my go to for small gaps. I tend to use Revell basic putty for steps and sink marks etc. I've only tried milliput once. I need to play with it more - the one time I used it it was very hard and unworkable - probably down to my mixing.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Milliput gets hard with age, that's why I use Epoxysculpt. It ages but not nearly so fast.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stuart wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:01 pm Let the sanding begin... (one of these days I must build a more modern Tornado kit that doesn't require three tons of filler...)

Cheers!
Holy Putty Batman! Looking good !
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

jeaton01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm Milliput gets hard with age, that's why I use Epoxysculpt. It ages but not nearly so fast.
Yea, not sure what goes bad first, Milliput or Maskol? :giggles:
I bought Milliput once... :bag:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stuart, that's some great progress on a cool airplane! :grin: I've always admired the Tornados; the first time I heard of the type was while reading Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". Keep up the great work, it's really rocking! :guitar:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Did you ever read Sir John Hackett’s late 1970’s speculative fiction work, “The Third World War”? I remember reading about Tornados in that book several years before Red Storm Rising was published. The first chapter of Hackett’s book is a series of Day One first person experience scenarios, including a Luftwaffe Tornado pilot. I don’t recall if that was the first time that I had read of the type though, as I was big into reading all sorts of then current defense publications that I could get my hands on. I still have the Armed Forces Journal 1983 edition of the Soviet Threat issue.

Now Stuart, go get that putty cleaned up!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

:headslap: Yes, of course it was Hackett's book where I read it first. Damn this old age! :sad: I checked "TheThird World War" out of our city library back then. And yes, that was years before RSR. In fact, a few years ago, I found Hackett's book in an antique mall and bought that copy. I really should be back and read both books again. Thanks Carlos for squaring me up! :bow: :grin:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

jeaton01 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm Milliput gets hard with age, that's why I use Epoxysculpt. It ages but not nearly so fast.
Shelf life of 2 years. I use it often enough that this isn’t a problem for me.

Advantages as I see them are—smoothing with water, faster hardening time, low to no odor.

Full details here, if you are interested:

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/tag/mil ... helf-life/
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

cbaltrin wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:22 pm
Yea, not sure what goes bad first, Milliput or Maskol? :giggles:
I bought Milliput once... :bag:
To each his own; I have purchased many boxes of Milliput over the past years.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:30 pm
Shelf life of 2 years. I use it often enough that this isn’t a problem for me.

Advantages as I see them are—smoothing with water, faster hardening time, low to no odor.

Full details here, if you are interested:

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/tag/mil ... helf-life/
I tended to get a year or two more out of my tubes of Squadron putty. So far Tamiya has also given me a bit longer shelf life as well. But I would like to give it a try sometime since Hobby Lobby carries the stuff and it’s decently priced there.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”