AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
mustang1989

AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"

Post by mustang1989 »

Sorry for the absence over the last few months. I've got a project that I've been working on for almost 5 months now and it looks like it's coming to fruition.

Well folks, I’ve got this one finished up after almost 6 months. This is not my usual automotive area as I normally build classic cars and trucks, however, a good friend of mine was set to retire late last year and owns one of these cars & I wanted to build one for him.
AMT just so happens to have this very car in kit form, so I bought one. Upon opening the kit and going over the instructions I could not believe the amount of detail that AMT put into this model. Engine detail was better than most other models out there and the interior had a lot as well. What caught my eye was the number of parts and attention given to the suspension. This not only stuck out to me on the instruction sheet but during the build as well. There are nearly 50 parts to the suspension/ undercarriage with most of those dedicated to the intricate rear suspension. Just beautiful.
The good points on this build are, as mentioned, the chassis, engine and engine bay and the interior are well thought out and detailed. The chassis required a lot of tedious building but is very rewarding when finished. Engine assembly and installation was straight forward as the interior. One thing that I got hung up on with the interior was the two-tone colors of the seats and how to replicate them. I chose grey decals that I ended up making templates for, cutting out and applying.

Areas of frustration with the kit were the headlight lenses with locator pins on each side which results in a very unconvincing look. I cut both locator pins off but then found out that the headlight lenses were very thick causing them to give the front end a bug-eyed look when fitted. After thinning the OOB lenses and trimming I found that on installation the lenses didn't fill the headlight cavity sufficiently sooooo......I had to source another pair of lenses.... and completely remove the headlight buckets from the nose. After that I shot a coat of black over the lenses and coated that with a good coat of Testors Wet Look Clear shot through an airbrush. THAT....gave me the look that I was hoping for and the headlight lenses sat recessed in the headlight cavities giving a much more convincing look.

Before the correction. You can see what I'm talking about with the lenses.

Another area of concern is fitting the chassis/ interior into the body. I had to trim the leading edge of the dash all the way across the width of the dash. I also had to trim back the leading edge of the windshield because it contacted the dash and then repaint the inside black so as not to have blemishes along the bottom of the windshield. The exhaust tips are shown to be installed at the very start of the build. I saved this for the very end of the build so I could get the spacing correct.

This was a fun model to put together and was very rewarding at the end aside from a couple of kit shortcomings. I used Gravity Colors Nightfall Grey for the body color and Testors Wet Look Gloss Clear dispensed and shot through an airbrush. This is a mostly OOB build save for the rear license plate which carries the personalized tag that my friend has on his car. Other liberties that were taken by me was to lower the car all the way around by a scale 1” all the way around and display the driver’s window in the down position by removing that part of the glass assembly.

Anyone that's contemplating building this kit and wants to know what to look out for let me know and I'll give you a heads up of all the kits pros and cons as I saw them during the build.

The finished product.....with the corrected lenses.

keavdog
Elite Member

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"

Post by keavdog »

turned out really nice. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Beautiful & bad ass Camaro!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow!!! Absolutely gorgeous build!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:00 pm :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Beautiful & bad ass Camaro!
X2!
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks you guys. This was actually one of the more detailed auto kits that I've put together. AMT didn't do too bad on this one.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Looks great, super paint finish! I had an 81 Camaro for a few years, thought it would be cheap fun but it was only cheap. Has a small V-8 and t-top, and a 3 speed transmission that howled in second gear. Should have put sawdust in it, I guess.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Another fantastic finish!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks you guys.

John: Oh the cars that we had. I wouldn't change much though. They were fun when I had 'em but it was just time to turn the page.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Joe, late to this party. My apologies. What a great looking build. Love the finish.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”