Monogram 1/48 F-84F

Stikpusher

Re: Monogram 1/48 F-84F

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am I undercoat (when I do) with Model Master Olds Engine Blue. Makes sense to me as a lot of what we see in an aluminum surface is the reflection of the sky. Besides, some years ago I bought out all the paint that a hobby shop had that was going out of business so I have a lot of Olds Engine Blue (and Ford and Chevrolet colors).
Dark Blue undercoat... :hmm: Perhaps Humbrol has something that will work....
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great stuff Carlos - that's looking good.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

jeaton01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am I undercoat (when I do) with Model Master Olds Engine Blue. Makes sense to me as a lot of what we see in an aluminum surface is the reflection of the sky. Besides, some years ago I bought out all the paint that a hobby shop had that was going out of business so I have a lot of Olds Engine Blue (and Ford and Chevrolet colors).
This is a great idea, John! Thank you for sharing the idea here; and thank you, Carlos and Gary for inspiring others with your first class builds!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:09 am
cbaltrin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:03 am So you can put Vallejo on top of tamiya? I would have thought Vallejo would be similar to pollyscale, which you can't put on top of tamiya... or is it the other way around? :hmm:
Well I did with zero ill effects. On Friday afternoon I applied the base coat of Tamiya acrylic thinned with lacquer thinner, essentially as the primer coat, and let it dry overnight. Roughly 24 hours later I airbrushed on the base colors with Vallejo Model Air and it all worked great together. And offhand I don’t recall ever having any problems with using Polly Scale and Tamiya together. At least not beyond the tip dry I occasionally encounter with some Polly Scale paints. The only problems that I’ve ever had was Model Master Acrylic over Gunze Aqueous.
It's possible the issue only arises when brush painting due to the thicker coat and longer drying time. I can assure you there is an issue (at least with polly scale).
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well I see that I haven’t posted any progress updates on this for awhile, so here we go.

I got the wheel wells washed and dry brushed

I built up stuff that will be hanging off of the wings and got the wings glued together…

And then the past couple of days I’ve been working on detail painting the cockpit

I just need to do some final work on the IP then get the fuselage all assembled… soon…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great stuff Stik. Those wheel wells turned out fantastic. PIt ain't bad either!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. I need to fine tune that seat harness up a bit as well the other finishing touches on the IP.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a great looking interior Carlos - nice work!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. The kit has beautiful old school Monogram detail that really came out in the cockpit.

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Great work Carlos. I am loving those wheel wells. Cockpit isn't to shabby either!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”