Betty Jane

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Betty Jane

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:59 pm
Medicman71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:50 am Very cool. Can't wait to see your build.
I miss being on the forum my friend. You’re one of the reasons why. Truly. Thanks for your support and the inspiration of your builds.
It's good to see you back on it!

Looking forward to seeing this Bruce, that's a nice choice of Markings.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart! Thanks mate I’m trying to decide if I brush paint silver—I think Humbrol makes a really great aluminum color as well. Is that your opinion? Humbrol and a flat brush, work small sections?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Wheel Well Reference

I’m gonna quote from Dana Bell:

Dana Bell
Mustang corrosion control...
Fri Oct 1, 2004 08:33

You've got several options here, but unpainted "natural" aluminum with a yellow zinc chromate main spar is the most common for P-51Bs and Cs.

The early Allison-engined Mustangs used the standard prewar corrosion control finishes for the wheel wells and struts: two coats of primer and one coat of aluminized lacquer.

In 1942, before the Merlin-engined Mustangs entered production, North American was granted permission to build Mustangs without interior primers as a means of speeding production. The main wing spars were generally primed with a single coat of yellow zinc chromate to protect the alloy spar itself, to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion in the areas where the spar contacted the inner faces of the aluminum skin, and to reduce static electricity buildup on the aft face of the spar (where the main tanks were located). There is a chance that some early Bs and Cs were delivered with unpainted spars, but I've never found more than a slight possibility of that having occurred.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Opening Maneuvers

Mated fuselage halves. Glued together temporarily with white glue. Sanded with 800 and 1000 grit papers to level the seam and remove burrs from sprues. Spot glued a temporary handle to facilitate ease of painting. See sketch.

The “added handle” comes from half a freebie pen which my local bank hands out when I make counter deposits. Using a handle makes painting easier and in this case I want to keep the surface as clean as possible.

If it wasn’t raining I would have sprayed a mist coat of Mr Color silver metallic - which really gives to appearance of metal - but it was drizzling and my hopes were dashed, dagnabbit.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Like the old song says, “it never rains in California… but it pours, man it pours” :tease:

I do enjoy seeing your sketches on here to illustrate your concepts Bruce. It’s a great way to show your concept intent.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Carlos. I sincerely appreciate your comments and thank you for taking the time to make ‘em as well. This is a beautiful kit in terms of shape and fit too and I sincerely hope to do this justice. I’m still debating if I should mix up YZC for this or not and how much effort I should put into the wheel wells. I am considering a trompe l’oel effect with the braces being painted as a series of lines instead of building up surfaces in relief.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In all honesty Bruce I say build it OOB. Have fun with the build, painting, and finishing, but don’t fret about the small details such as the wheel wells Just embrace the basic kit as it is and run with it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree with Carlos. Have fun with it and don't antagonize over the little stuff. I really like to see this one done.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, both. I sincerely appreciate your advice!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Excellent progress so far Bruce and I also love the sketches. Your unique approach using sketching to weigh options is amazing!

I agree with the others, even though it probably doesn't need saying; but just enjoy the model, building it like the manufacturer intended...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”