Betty Jane

speedgraflex

Re: Betty Jane

Post by speedgraflex »

From Amazing Stories (Season 1, Episode 5):

The episode, directed by Spielberg, stars Kevin Costner and delivers a solid theme about the power of imagination. Also I was reminded of Costner saying offscreen that “your dreams” are never ever to be tossed out to lighten the load when your personal craft is taking a dive:

I am thinking about the color of the wheel wells. I am thinking about simplifying the color (since there is no interior wheel well detail) to a splash of ZCY. Model A in detail!

I finally, finally have the paints to begin work—simplicity is key to fidelity since this is out o’ box.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

You're right with the splash of color. Most natural metal Mustangs had silver lacquer wheel wells with the main spar at the back being ZCY. Something to do with dissimilar metal anti corrosion.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

speedgraflex wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:24 am From Amazing Stories (Season 1, Episode 5):
I remember that episode. The ball turret gunner was in danger of being smooshed... Don't remember Kevin K being in it though -- probably because I had never heard of him before at that point... you are not planning on painting your landing gear struts like barber shop poles are you? :hmm:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

On my old P-51B build I went with the YZC wheel wells… built this about 20 years ago before I did washes and other such techniques…

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, gents. Finally—an image:

This is not my first Monogram rodeo, fellas, but the last time I tried the venerable Warhawk I got my ass kicked. My approach to the Warhawk was to rebuild bits and pieces with strip and sheet styrene; but what kicked me and kicked me hard was trimming and sanding the venerable smooth and shiny Monogram plastic. I was cutting off too much and warping plastic whenever I used heavy grit paper, so for this puppy I opted for a scalpel to cut the parts free and higher grit papers from Japan to smooth the surfaces. Let’s see if it’s the tools or the workman this time. Fingers crossed!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Removed one sink mark on each upper half

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 am On my old P-51B build I went with the YZC wheel wells…

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your work with me! I know you’re not a Facebook person Carlos but there is a nice group of “unweathered modelers” on Fb attempting to take back what was lost when Tamiya Sauron first forged weathering powders.

Have you inhaled fumes from Tamiya aerosol cans?

Nice to mix metaphors so freely once more on the pages of SPAM! Carlos, I would like to see the finished model in all its glory. Is it here in Finished Builds?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

tempestjohnny wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:11 am You're right with the splash of color. Most natural metal Mustangs had silver lacquer wheel wells with the main spar at the back being ZCY. Something to do with dissimilar metal anti corrosion.
Thanks so much for your information, TJ!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

cbaltrin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:11 am
speedgraflex wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:24 am From Amazing Stories (Season 1, Episode 5):
You are not planning on painting your landing gear struts like barber shop poles are you? :hmm:
No, I’m not! I was attempting to lighten the intellectual load during the research phase with a bit of silliness. One element of hunting for scraps online is how readily the joy gets strip mined from the project itself.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Prepped and fettled
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”